Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

please help -- mysterious leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 03:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default please help -- mysterious leak

while changing my oil filter...i took a look at the metal rod that connects my steering system to the tire....on the driver's side...when you turn the steering wheel...the metal rod moves and makes the tire turn left or right.
attached to this rod is a black, rubber accordion looking thing. it had brown/golden fluid dripping from it.

first, does this accordion thing have fluid?
second, could the fluid be from somewhere else?

appreciate any replies ...this problem really has me worried/frustrated. (used z28, '98, 41,8XX miles, no engine mods, flowmaster exhaust, stb, sfc)
Old 08-13-2003, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: please help -- mysterious leak

That is the power steering rack and it is likley power steering fluid dripping out of it. You shouldn't see any fluid down there (officially speaking....), but a small amount is not unusual (I hate to say it is normal). Check your power steering fluid level, if it is still pretty full, it is not likely a big deal....if it is nearly empty....that may be a worse sign. The good news is that the fluid is golden, and not burnt....

Kevin
Old 08-15-2003, 02:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: please help -- mysterious leak

thanks for the reply..yes many months ago the steering fluid did leak and was nearly empty. gm tested it and found nothing. the level did go down a tad...wish there was a way to seal that thing for good. thanks again