Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Fact or Fiction

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fact or Fiction

I have heard many thoughts on this, but don't have the real answer. I believe you should warm up a car before driving it, but others think you don't have to. I have heard from mechanics that you SHOULD, but others say no.

Here is a quote from a recent Yahoo article:

"tip: Don't idle your engine to let it warm up before driving. It does your engine no good and it wastes gas. Instead, start driving right away, but drive gently until the engine is warm."

Whats the TRUTH?
Old 06-08-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have always let it warm up fully before starting...just a habbit. Makes sense to since everything should be running good. I think that if you're just driving it and easy on it, it should be fine. I would never "get on it" unless the car was fully warm. I am nowhere near an expert...this is just what makes sense to me.

My friend had a good analogy...

Driving your car while its cold is like sucking cold syrup through a straw. Its very thick, like molasses, and hard to do. Then when you drive when your car fully heated up its like sucking warm syrup through a straw. Much easier. So, when your car is heated the oil is warmed up and fully lubricates everything as it should. When your car is still cold and you drive it, the oil is much thicker and does not get to every part.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only ever heard that about rotary engines like the rx8. I drive my car just after start up every day.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

i let my car warm up for a couple mins just because of the valve springs and the cam that I am running. I let the jeep idle for a min while I get settled in and get everything set for driving.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:11 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dontmeSS
I have heard many thoughts on this, but don't have the real answer. I believe you should warm up a car before driving it, but others think you don't have to. I have heard from mechanics that you SHOULD, but others say no.

"tip: Don't idle your engine to let it warm up before driving. It does your engine no good and it wastes gas. Instead, start driving right away, but drive gently until the engine is warm."

Whats the TRUTH?

The yahoo article is right.

First off, idling an engine places no load on it, which makes it warm up much slower. Second, just because the engine gets warm doesn't mean anything else does. Your tranny and rear end are still cold and need to be warmed up. Start the car, and drive slowly keeping the throttle under 30%. This warms everything up uniformly and also wastes less gas, and if you care it makes the cats light off faster (if you have any), decreasing emissions.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dontmeSS

Whats the TRUTH?
when i read the tip i read it as like, don't rev your engine up a lil on startup thinking it will get your engine warmer faster. i know some people will hold their rpms at like 1500-2000 and hold it thinkin that it will warm up the car faster- more so in the winter.
during the summer i'll just hop in and drive, but winter i'll let it run for like 15 minutes before i go.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

i just jump in and drive, i have never had issues (and i have had many cars) but then again, i never "get on it" right after jumping in either.

Quick Reply: Fact or Fiction