General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuse (Tail Lps) keeps burning up

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse (Tail Lps) keeps burning up

I noticed the other night that my instrument panel lights were burned out. I found the Tail Lps fuse was blown, so I replaced it and everything was fine. I drove it the next day and everything seemed good, but then that night I noticed it was blown again. I replaced the fuse a second time and it was fine for the 15 minutes I was driving. I drove to work this morning, checked all the lights when I got there and they all still worked. Came out of work and checked the fuse before I even started the car and it was blown again.

So, I'm figuring I've got a short someplace in the running lights or tail lights, but it seems to be intermittent. The fuse doesn't burn out immediately, but I would bet that it will blow in the next 24 hours. The alarm was set off by a thunderstorm a bit ago and the lights sat and flashed just fine.

Anyone else had this happen? If so, where was the short? I pulled the tail lights off and the harness running to them looks good.

Does anyone have a schematic of what all is fed by this fuse? I'd like to have a target before I start pulling stuff apart.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My backup/taillamp fuse blew a couple days ago too. I washed the car for the first time in like 6 months. Water worked its way into the rear turn signal bulb/socket and rusted. The rust was causing quite a bit of resistance in the circuit. I replaced the fuse first and it blew again within a few minutes of driving.
I cleaned the bulbs/sockets and added dielectric grease to all the lights in the rear. Its been working fine since.
One thing I noticed though is that when the fuse blew, the turn signals wouldnt work at all. The automatic headlight circuit stopped working(lights didnt turn on by themselves at night), and the ASR light would flicker on and off, and the LED in the switch itself wouldnt turn on. I guess all that is on the same circuit.

Hope that helps
Old 06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Teching In

yea i had the same problem. drove me f'ing nuts. completly haphazard. mine was the wire on the taillight. as you push the taillight in the mounting holes i had one of the wires that would get crimped between the body and the light. i must have pulled that light out 4 times before i realized it was doing it. the wire didn't have any major damage to it so it was hard to see.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks burnin, I looked at those wires the other day, but I'll inspect them a little more closely now. I saw another old thread where someone had the problem at the same location, so maybe that is a "common" point for an issue.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

hey well if it urs turn signals and brake lights and all that, it happend to me as well. i had to replace a sensor on the side of my tranny. i know its weird but i think its called the reverse back up sensor or somthin along those lines.

Quick Reply: Fuse (Tail Lps) keeps burning up