Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need some help with a decision.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with a decision.

Well, as some of you know I just picked up this WS6 a month or so ago. I was planning on going Twin Turbo, BUT now that I think of the setup.. I would have to remove my TTS Longtubes and possibly the Corsa Catback(If i wanted more power). My buddy is selling his procharger and I was thinking that I should just pick it up to put on my car. The goal was to 550-600whp and call it quits so the car would still be a nice streetable setup. I'm trying to see what all of you do, since Yes I can sell the parts off the car but I dont like going through all that. So let me hear your thoughts/ideas on what you would do if put in my position.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

No amount of opinions will help but I will give you mine. I went with procharger and love it. Power comes on faster than most people think. Car runs and drives real easy with the blower cam. Turbo is awesome way to go but I didnt like the thought of wondering if someone was gonna gank my **** while was watching a movie or something. I hear nothing compares to what it feels like when turbos spool but I dont know. All in all I'm very happy with my procharger and zero regrets so far. In the end its better to just go with what you want the first time rather than settle and wish you would have spent your money some other way.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

PROCHARGER!!!!! what procharger does your friend have?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned both, and can not really tell you which way to gooo....I prefer turbos for the sound factor
Old 06-14-2008, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

it said D-1SC if i remember correctly. I have been a turbo person myself when i had 500whp on my 00 grand prix. But I heard my buddies mustang and this guy in a vette with the procharger.... and my jaw dropped... hearing the loud *** whistle at idle... I love the snap of the turbo when you jump on it, and then the sound of the spool. On either setup I will hit my hp needs, but its the choice of what I want. Then all the supporting mods to follow.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the ATI ProCharger, it is a much easier installation, and it sounds like you'll be all set up for it. Find out which kit he has. Bob
Old 06-15-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
I have owned both, and can not really tell you which way to gooo....I prefer turbos for the sound factor
I also perferthe turbo's
But the two main diffrences in my book is that the turbos will pull HARD!!! threw out the WHOLE!!!RPM range !!Where as a SC(Super Charger) will only pull when its in the engines RPM range. The SC's operating range is dependent of the engines RPM and it is ran off of the crank( Belt system),so in the upper gears its harder to build boost with a SC unless you put a way smaller pully on to give you boost in the higher gears, Trade off,, is more exsesive heat on the SC and you'll have to blow off the higher boost in the lower gears with a pre set BOV. Now, this is your pro charger, Vortech style blowers, which by the way sound GREAT!, youll definatly be heard coming with that whistle sound LOL Now if were talking Whipple or Magnasoun chargers ,,,,These will be & feel more like a like a turbo in a sense that boost will always be there for you and torque across the graph line!! Very Very streetable with power and it looks bad *** under the hood as well as having a whistle sound !!This was and still is my choiceof SC before i heard of the APS twin turbo,The only down fall to turbos IMO is TORQUE and as all builders know!!!Torque KILLS everything & anything!!!and alot of guys leave this out when talking about the two FI kits!! Turbos will max torque at 2500rpms all the way to 8000 RPMs, where a SC may be there for a minute untill the shift and the blower has to get back to its operating RPM before you have full torque again This is the way my builder exsplained it too me when i was deciding between the two. Because when doing a turbo ,you'll have to put more into the tranny/converter & rearend then you would a SC car if looking for major HP gains, so if thinking of turboing?? save alittle more money before starting!! Actually save alot of money if thinking of doing either and i forgot to mention a total fuel upgrade as well,, if thinking of doing either ,,which can be handled with one phone call !!to either Lonnies performance or Nasty performance. Lonnies performance actually makes the double pumpers for Nasty!! Both are great guys by the way

Quick Reply: Need some help with a decision.