Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

HELP! T/A door panel separating

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! T/A door panel separating

Anybody ever hear of the drivers side fiberglass outer door panel separating from the rest of the door? I can see where it looks like its cracking apart in the seam right under the mirror. Anybody have any ideas on the best way to fix or replace this and the cost?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine is has been seperating for the past 2 years and it's getting so bad that when I open the door it pops against the front fender. The only way I would think to fix this is to remove the door, remove the door shell, prep the surfaces and use a high strength epoxy and clamp it for it to dry. That should cure the problem for many years.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just got into the autobody business and a T/A came into the shop for this exact problem. my manager said its very comon. we removed the door (heavy as hell) scraped the factory glue out, sanded the area, and used a select professional grade adhesive. clamped the panels, let it cure, and re-installed the door. i would recommend taking it to a body shop.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by luckyou03
Mine is has been seperating for the past 2 years and it's getting so bad that when I open the door it pops against the front fender. The only way I would think to fix this is to remove the door, remove the door shell, prep the surfaces and use a high strength epoxy and clamp it for it to dry. That should cure the problem for many years.
i just got into the autobody business and a T/A came into the shop for this exact problem. my manager said its very comon. we removed the door (heavy as hell) scraped the factory glue out, sanded the area, and used a select professional grade adhesive. clamped the panels, let it cure, and re-installed the door. i would recommend taking it to a body shop.
I have done this, and it does work for a long time. Eventually however, the epoxy will degrade and the problem will occur again. It should cost around $300 at a repuatable body shop, and last anywhere from 3-5 years. Much cheaper than the alternative (buying a new door, having it painted and installed.)

In the meanwhile, make sure it doesn't catch against the fender skin and "pop" as alluded to before by one of the previous posters. This will mechnically seperate the panel from door frame and accelerate the seperating process. Roll down your window before you open the door, and manually hold the fiberglass against the frame while you open the door so as to prevent contact with the front quarter panel.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Launching!

My door did this but the opposite side from the mirror. I just used some epoxy and it's held up good for 1+ year.

=\
Old 06-19-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah had the same problem but my door also craked along the inner door seal. I think it had some thing to do with my window because when i roll it all the way down it bows the door out. but luckly i got hit and they replaced the door when they fixed the rest of the damage!!

Quick Reply: HELP! T/A door panel separating