Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear end issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end issues

ok so im sick of my v-6 rear end and drum brakes not being able to keep up with my recent LS1 swap. i'm buying a rear end out of a 2002 camaro z-28. from what i understand, i may have to change my master cylinder because if i dont, my brakes wont work??? need help with answers!!! and what will my gear ratio be with the new rear end? will i feel any difference other than the posi traction? check out my pics on my myspace page......
(myspace.com/armygi15)
Old 06-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Josh Judkins
ok so im sick of my v-6 rear end and drum brakes not being able to keep up with my recent LS1 swap. i'm buying a rear end out of a 2002 camaro z-28. from what i understand, i may have to change my master cylinder because if i dont, my brakes wont work??? need help with answers!!! and what will my gear ratio be with the new rear end? will i feel any difference other than the posi traction? check out my pics on my myspace page......
(myspace.com/armygi15)
I am pretty sure the rear ends are the same. Just put in a powertrax locker, that way no ring and pinion adjustments are required. If you did an LS1 swap putting in one of these is less than a weekend venture.

If the 2002 Camaro rearend has discs and you are running drum on the back the proportioning valve is different and the master cylinder may be as well. These also may be integrated, not 100% sure.

Gearing on the rear just depends what it came with from the factory. My guess 3.08-3.42s is what you will see.

Positraction is great if it is a true positraction unit.
If the camaro's have the same GM gov-lock posi as the silverado trucks, I would say forget that, they are horrible units. I have one in my pickup and I want to blow it up. Everytime I get in a situation where a locking diff would come in handy it lets me down. I am just too cheap to replace it at the current time.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Just count the number of turns of the yoke that it takes to turn the wheel one revolution. (making sure both wheels turn evenly) With a 3.46 ratio, the yoke will turn about 3.46 times to turn the wheel one turn.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Buckndol
Just count the number of turns of the yoke that it takes to turn the wheel one revolution. (making sure both wheels turn evenly) With a 3.46 ratio, the yoke will turn about 3.46 times to turn the wheel one turn.
I have done that method before and it seems too rough of a guess. The sure fire way is to divide the pinion teeth by the ring gear teeth.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Teching In

hey thanks a lot guys...i was thinking about the power trax as an option but then i heard some bad things about how turning into tight spots becomes a huge issue. know anything about that?