Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Way to Turn Rollmaster Sprocket to Advance Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Way to Turn Rollmaster Sprocket to Advance Cam?

Which way do you turn the sprocket on the crank to advance the cam??? If I remember... you turn it to the left.

Also... you align it according to the new keyway... i.e. the crank dot is NO LONGER the correct position.

Correct?

I am advancing the cam 4*.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:43 PM
FormerVendor

Default Re: Which Way to Turn Rollmaster Sprocket to Advance Cam?

I just installed mine this morning, I read about the advance/retard with the included directions. Check them if you still have them.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

As per the instructions.

Cam timing marks shown are for standard cam timing only. All other crank keyways are in 2 degree increments advanced or retard 2-4-6-8. The middle key being the standard key. Keys to left of standard are advance and keys to right of standard are retard.

Note the spacing of standard key to standard timing dot. This must be duplicated from the actual non standard key you use if dialing in the cam. Do not use the standard timing dot if you are using the non standard keyway.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

you done yet!!!!
Old 08-15-2003, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You turn the crank sprocet CW to advance timing. As mentioned already maintain the SAME SPACING between the new keyway you choose and the associated tooth as you see between the stock keyway and stock tooth which have the associated DOT The crankshaft will have to be rotated slightly CCW to achieve the DOT TO DOT relationship. Just rotating the crank sprockt on the crankshaft does NOT change timing. It only places the sprocket on the crank in a different position.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:12 PM
Launching!

You turn the crank sprocet CW to advance timing. As mentioned already maintain the SAME SPACING between the new keyway you choose and the associated tooth as you see between the stock keyway and stock tooth which have the associated DOT The crankshaft will have to be rotated slightly CCW to achieve the DOT TO DOT relationship. Just rotating the crank sprockt on the crankshaft does NOT change timing. It only places the sprocket on the crank in a different position.
Ok... let me get this straight... turn cranksprocket clockwise two keyways on the sprocket to achieve 4 degrees. THEN... you line up the standard timing dots to achieve 4 degrees of advance. OTHERWISE... just turning it wont do crap.

The instructions stated that the standard timing dots are not the correct to use... that means you are just turning the sprocket and not advancing the cam. You turn the sprocket 4 degrees... it's still essentially installed at 0* advance.

Did I understand or am I not getting this at all....

Quick Reply: Which Way to Turn Rollmaster Sprocket to Advance Cam?