Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do stock springs shocks adjust??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do stock springs shocks adjust??

Ive noticed since I picked up my TA that I have so much more room in my rear wheel wells than other WS6's. Im talking that I look like a 4x4 when Im around other stock WS6's look so much better. My front wheel wells arent as bad but there are still gaps.

Im just wondering why my WS6 has such large gaps. Our the springs or shocks adjustable and I never realized it or paid any attention to it.

Any guidence would be greatly appreciated!!

its a 2000 WS6....stock suspension.

It will be lowered one day down the road, Im just mad when Im parked next to other ws6's.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No stock Fbody has adjustable height suspension to my knowledge.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
No stock Fbody has adjustable height suspension to my knowledge.
Thats what I thought.

Im just stumped to why I have such a gap. Anyone know where I could start to trouble shoot, or is there absolutly nothing wrong. There has to be something, considering my WS6 sat next to anther WS6 the other night that was stock.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1LE's did . . . . Adjustable Koni shocks that is.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But if you ever find one you are lucky. I have never seen one with that option as of yet.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
1LE's did . . . . Adjustable Koni shocks that is.
Yeah I saw that. Im just trying to think why mine could be so much higher. I just get mad when I see other WS6's. Could anything with the rear end of made the ride heighth go higher? Any other ideas.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Take a picture. I want to see how high yours is.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
Yeah I saw that. Im just trying to think why mine could be so much higher. I just get mad when I see other WS6's. Could anything with the rear end of made the ride heighth go higher? Any other ideas.
Are you the first owner? Maybe the previous owner swapped in different rear springs?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

98-99- early 2000 have different springs that make the car look taller, in late 2000 the WS6's and SS's got i think a diiffernt type of spring with different spring rates that would lower the car a bit, check to see what month ur car was made
Old 06-20-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
Ill snap one tonight or tomorrow. Thats a good Idea.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Are you the first owner? Maybe the previous owner swapped in different rear springs?
No second owner. Ill have to ask him. I know him personally

Originally Posted by ae13291
98-99- early 2000 have different springs that make the car look taller, in late 2000 the WS6's and SS's got i think a diiffernt type of spring with different spring rates that would lower the car a bit, check to see what month ur car was made

I never knew that. Ill have to check this data out. Thanks for the info.. my build date was 5/2000 so it was a late 2000 model.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are three good pics describing what Im talking about.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Mine was the opposite--sat lower than any others I ever saw..went to Eibach still though. Yours does the 4x4 look very well.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Mine was the opposite--sat lower than any others I ever saw..went to Eibach still though. Yours does the 4x4 look very well.
Yeah doesnt that suck. I really dont want to lower it until I get wheels in a year or two. But Ive notice lately how bad it looks. Can I cut the springs a little I wonder.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

almost looks like only the front has been lowered.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

maybe the previous owner reinstalled the stock springs incorrectly. maybe he didnt seat them. that looks oddly tall
Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
maybe the previous owner reinstalled the stock springs incorrectly. maybe he didnt seat them. that looks oddly tall
Yeah that looks a good 2" taller than it should be. Something is definitely not right here.

Most people will advise you not to cut the springs. but I just went from lowering springs to cut stock springs and I couldn't be happier. You can safely take off a coil off the top of the rear springs and bottom of the front springs without adversely affecting ride quality or handling. I removed more but I also have KYB AGX adjustable shocks that can be ramped up to handle the slightly increased spring rate.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is weird, as it looks like the body of the whole car itself is actually level, but that there is just a crap ton of rear wheel well space going on.... Interesting. But the rear is very high. Highest I might have ever seen lol.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check those rear springs to see if they're seated properly and/or there maybe some sort of spacer in there. If somehow the springs are taller springs, you could attempt the heater hose mod first, however try not to cut the springs unless you have your calculations absolutely correct with regards to how much spring wire to cut.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

My SS does the same thing. Looks like a dang 4x4. The previous owner put on Sportlines, which I took off. I went to a large Fbody/Vette bone yard and got some used springs and I think they gave me LT1 springs. Well, hopefully when I install these Strano springs that will no longer be an issue. Try the heater hose mod or make sure your rear springs are seated correctly.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
almost looks like only the front has been lowered.
Kind of. But in person its a little bit higher.

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
He said that nothing was ever touched. unless he is having memory relapse or not telling me somthing Thats all the info I can get.

Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie
Yeah that looks a good 2" taller than it should be. Something is definitely not right here.

Most people will advise you not to cut the springs. but I just went from lowering springs to cut stock springs and I couldn't be happier. You can safely take off a coil off the top of the rear springs and bottom of the front springs without adversely affecting ride quality or handling. I removed more but I also have KYB AGX adjustable shocks that can be ramped up to handle the slightly increased spring rate.
Yeah I dont know if i want to go to all the trouble to cut the stockers. I think I am going to throw it up on a lift tomorrow and have one of my mechanics look at it with me. Im going to see if I can get my buddy to come with me with his WS6 so we can compair.

It is weird, as it looks like the body of the whole car itself is actually level, but that there is just a crap ton of rear wheel well space going on.... Interesting. But the rear is very high. Highest I might have ever seen lol.
Thats what I see too. It looks right. But that wheel well is making me sick.
Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Check those rear springs to see if they're seated properly and/or there maybe some sort of spacer in there. If somehow the springs are taller springs, you could attempt the heater hose mod first, however try not to cut the springs unless you have your calculations absolutely correct with regards to how much spring wire to cut.
Ill check all that out. Thank you for your help. Good ideas and suggestions.

Originally Posted by GIJosh
My SS does the same thing. Looks like a dang 4x4. The previous owner put on Sportlines, which I took off. I went to a large Fbody/Vette bone yard and got some used springs and I think they gave me LT1 springs. Well, hopefully when I install these Strano springs that will no longer be an issue. Try the heater hose mod or make sure your rear springs are seated correctly.
Thanks man.

Quick Reply: Do stock springs shocks adjust??