Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

NEED some HELP with 98 camaro fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED some HELP with 98 camaro fuel pump

I have had intermitant problems with my 98 ss camaro starting. It acts like it is not getting fuel when I start it sometimes. Then it will fire up normally. Im just trying to figure out if it is the fuel pump or filter, or something else. It has 70,000 original miles on it. There is no hesitation and runs great! If it is the pump, I want to know if there is any after market pumps ect. that I can buy. Also, I need someone that will not charge in an arm and a leg to install it. Live in the Seattle area of Washington State. HELP!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Terri
I have had intermitant problems with my 98 ss camaro starting. It acts like it is not getting fuel when I start it sometimes. Then it will fire up normally. Im just trying to figure out if it is the fuel pump or filter, or something else. It has 70,000 original miles on it. There is no hesitation and runs great! If it is the pump, I want to know if there is any after market pumps ect. that I can buy. Also, I need someone that will not charge in an arm and a leg to install it. Live in the Seattle area of Washington State. HELP!!!
Does it happen when the car has sat for a period of time? Have you tried priming the pump (turn key on for about 5 seconds and then turn off, repeat) a few times before starting to see if this alleviates the problem?
Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is my every day driver so no, it hasnt sat at all. It just happens every once in a while. I have not tried to prime the pump! It sure is pinging though! I have put 2 tanks of gas in it the last week and both tanks have pinged!! Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you checked fuel pressure? Changed fuel filter? Ran Redline SI-1 injector cleaner through a tank of fuel? Severely clogged injectors will do this. Have you checked your ignition system, e.g. plugs, wires?

These are all simple things, but it's usually the one of the easy one's that causes the issues.