Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Possible problem from grinding my calipers? Need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Possible problem from grinding my calipers? Need some opinions

Ok. I spent ALLL day grinding my calipers. It's still a tight fit and when I first drove it I would here some noises like something is still hitting. Its not doing it so bad anymore. Either the caliper made a groove in the wheel to clear or I think it might of just been all the paint built up on the rotor from me painting and test fitting all day. Other than that my concern is on both of the back caliper brackets (not the caliper itself but the bracket around it) on top and bottom in the same spot it almost looks like I grinded through the bracket but theres no way. its kinda pitted and there looks like a hair line crack ya long -- and the more I grinded the bigger it got. Anyone else had this problem? I only ground what it took to get the wheel to clear and like I said its still a tight fit. BTW the rear is weld pro stars 15x10 and the front is summit stars 15x4. I had to grind the fronts down a little bit to. I didnt like the look of the spacer and I dont have longer wheel studs yet. Any one have any input? Is there anything to worry about?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

can you post a pic
Old 06-23-2008, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A picture would help a ton.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem I have 15 by 8 pro stars and last night after grinding I stared to notice that same little crack after taking more material off I came to find that I griding through the bracket and into the hole where the pin slides I will try to post a picture later tonight
Old 09-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Launching!

I know exactly what your talking about, Mine did the exact same thing when I ground my calipers for 15x8 prostars. It was a little smaller than the size of a pencil eraser, it was pitted near the top of the caliper. I put about 8000 miles on the car before I sold it and I didnt have any problems.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Teching In

did u notice any problems with the grease coming out of the hole. Cause that is my only concern is all the grease pushing out of that hole and the pin not being lubricated and seizing up on me.