Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Best bolt ons for C5 or C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best bolt ons for C5 or C5Z

I'm sure the thread has been done before but I'd like to keep things reliable, but make more power than stock. To what extent would you mod to keep things in check 100% strong and reliable? What would you go with, why? and how much for parts/labor. Also would a cam be too much for someone with that goal?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

nos is best bolt on for our car
Old 06-24-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by whitebullet7
nos is best bolt on for our car

Nitrous is one approach.

A more civilized approach (I DO LOVE SPRAY THOUGH) would be buy yourself some headers, LG, Kooks, American Racing are all good brands. An intake, Varaam, Halltech or Blackwing. Get a custom tune or handheld, your preference. Some tires and you'll have yourself one hell of a fun DD, or whatever you use it for.

You could do some other bolt-ons: thermostat (160), underdrive pulley, electric water pump.

You've got some more power than a stock C5 with the same dependence you had when the car was stock.

Catbacks and such, that is preference, C5 Z06 catbacks, the best IMO, lightest if not close to it out of all catbacks available for these cars. It's a sound preference is what it comes down to. Also a Z06 catback is the cheapest by a significant amount.

As far as a cam goes, something small like a 224 is popular or you can go bigger, its all in your tune driveability wise. Depends on what you want power wise. Relability; if the cam was installed properly and you have the right valvetrain and such. You shouldn't have any problems. Give a sponsor a ring (To the right of the screen) and they'll help you out. I had Texas-Speed build my motor and I would recommend them to anyone.

Do a search on some items and find what you want, that'll help you make up your mind.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by AlexLs1; 06-24-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:44 PM
MJD
12 Second Club

Gears. Won't add power but it will definitely feel like you did.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Ive heard that even C5Zs get 21-22mpg city, and almost 30 highway. How much will this drop with a headers, intake, exhaust, underdrive pulley (wtf does this do) and cam (know what it is but not quite how it works or what it cost/goes into doing it properly... or the gains)

I am however leaning towards a C5 FRC instead of a Z... cheaper and still plenty of car for me I think. A nicely taken care of FRC with low miles is worth its weight in gold IMO compared to a ragged out high mileage Z. I may be wrong though
Old 06-24-2008, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

you sound like you want the same thing out of your vette as i do. I just got a 02 Z and i am only doing a few mods to it. I just sold a 00 ford lightning that i dropped a ton of money into lol. i have been talking to the guys at LG and they have recommend these parts.

LG pro long tubes w/cats
vararam cai
G5x1 cam
Fast 90 intake/ 90mm tb
dyno tune

i told LG i wanted a street car above everything else but i would be attending a few open track eventes each year. Anthony at LG said the car could make 420-440 rwhp and 410+ rwtq. Plus the combo would work really well with a set of AFR heads if i wanted to add them down the road. Talk to the vendor of your choice about what you want out of your car. Dont get stuck on dyno numbers like i did with my lightning lol.

Quick Reply: Best bolt ons for C5 or C5Z