Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel return line

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default fuel return line

Just wondered if this might work. I will be using an external Walbro GSL392 255LPH pump to feed the LM4 in my 65 Vette. Rather than put a return port in the stock vette tank, can I tee into the feed line between the tank and the pump? Any return flow from the pressure relief valve would be drawn into the pump. If there was more return flow than the motor required it could back feed to the tank.
AM I out in left field or does this seem feasible?
Bob
Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

It won't work like that, most all the fuel will return to then tank, you'll get little pressure at all. I'd say get a Vette filter/regulator. Ok I just reread your post, if your trying to return the fuel AFTER the regulator to the line between the tank and pump, I'm thinking you would probably build up too much pressure, no where for the returning fuel to go. But not really sure.

Last edited by ls1nova71; 06-24-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: reread post
Old 06-24-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you would actually shorten the life of the pump due to the fuel temperature, you would basically be recircing fuel that gets heated, and reheated, and reheated, with little mnakeup coming from the tank.

Not to mention that any extra fuel will be running back and forth in the suction line, making the pump work harder.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Heating the fuel was my one concern also.
But I have a solution for that. INline cooler of which I have a compact one laying around.

Bob
Old 06-25-2008, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

"Ok I just reread your post, if your trying to return the fuel AFTER the regulator to the line between the tank and pump, I'm thinking you would probably build up too much pressure, no where for the returning fuel to go."

The returning fuel that isn't drawn into the pump could return to the tank through the pickup. If more fuel than is returning is needed it would draw from the tank as well as the return line. Maybe

Here is my question now, how much pressure is there in the return line? Could it overcome the pressure from the weight of the fuel in the tank as it would return at the bottom of the tank which is where the pickup obviously is.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that will work at all. The fuel in the return line is going to be pulsing as the regulator is opening and closing, and my main concern would be cavitation burning the pump up. I also don't think it would have enough pressure to force it back into the tank.

If you are absolutely going to do this I would not use a "T" I would use a "Y".

Last edited by SMAX; 06-25-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Good point on the cavitation. I think I'll look at going the conventional route and returrn to the tank. Thanks for the responses guys.
Bob

Quick Reply: fuel return line