Solenoid question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solenoid question?

alright so i have a 97 camaro v6 and im going to install this nitrous kit on it
http://holley.com/05177NOS.asp

heres my problem, the kit is made for a airlid style intake set up.. i have this

the airlid style uses 2 dry nozzles (see kit i posted)
Seeing as my intake doesnt have a big space like the airlid, id like to switch to a single nozzle setup. My question is the kit has 2 solenoids wired together-pic->
if you look at the instructions for that kid, on page 9, it shows they are correct how they are. Can i just cut the wire from 1 solenoid and use 1 only? if not, is running 2 solenoids to 1 nozzle fine? also none of the solenoids have a 3rd hole for purge, so its not a purge.. if you look at this kit http://holley.com/05175NOS.asp it uses 2 solenoids to 1 nozzle...
if i cant do any of the above, should i just say **** it and run 2 nozzles like this?
thanks for your help guys,
Steve
Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

I know you can run two solenoids for a single nozzle some people do it for safety reasons (in case one solenoid gets stuck open). With a dry setup on an LS1 you want to put the nozzle about 4-6 inches from the MAF.

Last edited by epox4life; 06-27-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by epox4life
I know you can run two solenoids for a single nozzle some people do it for safety reasons (in case one solenoid gets stuck open). With a dry setup on an LS1 you want to put the nozzle about 4-6 inches from the MAF, not sure about the V6.
its about the same on the v6, i was considering putting both nozzles in the indicated location to hope that it would for sure been completely atomized into the intake air by the time it hit the maf. and i cant really mount it in the elbow.
I was told to maybe even mount 1 of the nozzles about 3" back...
Old 06-27-2008, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marosteve
its about the same on the v6, i was considering putting both nozzles in the indicated location to hope that it would for sure been completely atomized into the intake air by the time it hit the maf. and i cant really mount it in the elbow
The MAF might not detect the nitrous well and not add enough fuel, if you put it that far away. From what I read you want the nozzle pointing right at the wires of the MAF, that's how I have mine setup (single nozzle) and it's getting enough fuel for a 100shot. Are you going to put it on a dyno and tune it, after it gets installed?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

The MAF might not detect the nitrous well and not add enough fuel, if you put it that far away. From what I read you want the nozzle pointing right at the wires of the MAF, that's how I have mine setup (single nozzle) and it's getting enough fuel for a 100shot. Are you going to put it on a dyno and tune it, after it gets installed?
its got a dynotune now from Masport speed shop (sponsor here ) that is safe for 100 of dry. and the way this kit is, it doesnt have a standard fogger thing. it doesnt point towards the maf, it just bolts right into the intake, heres a pic..
Old 06-27-2008, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its got a dynotune now from Masport speed shop (sponsor here ) that is safe for 100 of dry. and the way this kit is, it doesnt have a standard fogger thing. it doesnt point towards the maf, it just bolts right into the intake, heres a pic..
Actually, it is supposed to point at the MAF so the MAF will tell the computer how much fuel to add. But I remember reading that the LT1 computers aren't as good at this as the new ones? Not fast enough..so I don't know how the V6 compares?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

If you wanted you could use one of those solenoids to purge, you'd just have to get a fitting. I have a fitting like in the picture below that works great.

Last edited by epox4life; 06-27-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jetlag
Actually, it is supposed to point at the MAF so the MAF will tell the computer how much fuel to add. But I remember reading that the LT1 computers aren't as good at this as the new ones? Not fast enough..so I don't know how the V6 compares?
Ive never heard anything about the v6 computer being like that. However, look at the pic, no way can this face the maf.. just cant
If you wanted you could use one of those solenoids to purge, you'd just have to get a fitting. I have a fitting like in the picture below that works great.

maybe, im going to give NOS a call tomorrow and see wtf i can do.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

I'm pretty sure the way the kit was made is how you have it....main feed line on one side... line from other 'noid to nozzle on the other.

The solenoids work in-line and fire at the same time...but if one sticks, you don't make anything go boom.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jetlag
I'm pretty sure the way the kit was made is how you have it....main feed line on one side... line from other 'noid to nozzle on the other.

The solenoids work in-line and fire at the same time...but if one sticks, you don't make anything go boom.
the previous owner did hook it up, although he never ran nitrous through it, he tested the noids and they both clicked open at the same time. so if it turns out its just a safety feature and its safe to run 1 nozzle. im keeping it.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:22 AM
11 Second Club

the previous owner did hook it up, although he never ran nitrous through it, he tested the noids and they both clicked open at the same time. so if it turns out its just a safety feature and its safe to run 1 nozzle. im keeping it.
Yeah, I'm 99.9% sure that's how they are setup. Most newer dry kits only include one solenoid now. But hell, it's already connected just use both.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:27 AM
10 Second Club

you will need an actual nozzle.
one of the better performing nozzles for the v6 and its maf style is the 70* NOS or equivalent.
they run about 15bucks.

Last edited by usd2sing; 07-23-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usd2sing
you will need an actual nozzle.
one of the better performing nozzles for the v6 and its maf style is the 70* NOS or equivalent.
they run about 15bucks.

pick up a real nozzle, once u have it in hand i'll modify your pic on a couple of options for placement.

make sure u get a nozzle holder/mount for the nozzle also to help keep it from moving or rotating when activated.
will do on that. Im going to call NOS parts center now and order 1 70* nozzle and a mount. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

check with the board sponsors before you call NOS/HOLLEY.
they will be more willing to work with you.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by usd2sing
check with the board sponsors before you call NOS/HOLLEY.
they will be more willing to work with you.
Roger that