Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head bolts to studs after engine bore...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 03:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head bolts to studs after engine bore...

OK, I need to know definitively whether or not I can replace my head bolts with head studs. Now the reason I'm asking is because the machinist who bored my motor used my old head bolts when he torque plated the block and balanced the crank etc. If I so decide to switch to head studs after all the measuring has been done with head bolts could I possibly damage the motor once I start it up? Will anything change to the balance of the motor? I'd like to have some input from you guys out there. I plan on running a 200 shot on the engine and I hear that the head studs are much better than the bolts. Or would I be ok just running head bolts and a copper gasket?

thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Halloran
OK, I need to know definitively whether or not I can replace my head bolts with head studs. Now the reason I'm asking is because the machinist who bored my motor used my old head bolts when he torque plated the block and balanced the crank etc. If I so decide to switch to head studs after all the measuring has been done with head bolts could I possibly damage the motor once I start it up? Will anything change to the balance of the motor? I'd like to have some input from you guys out there. I plan on running a 200 shot on the engine and I hear that the head studs are much better than the bolts. Or would I be ok just running head bolts and a copper gasket?

thanks!
It will be fine. Run the studs. The good thing is they're stronger AND reusable