Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Too much offset

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Too much offset

I have some original Millia Miglia that fit the Z. Problem is a bit too much offset up front.

Q: Could I machine the wheel and take off 3/4 mm offset?
What else should I look for?
Old 06-28-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar situation MANY years ago, trying to fit WAY big American Racing wheels on my '77 T/A. I looked at the hub portion of the wheels, and it looked really thick. So I thought I could bring them into work, and on some "off hours", mount them in one of our big lathes and take a little material off and "adjust" the offset.

Just for the hell of it, I contacted AR before I did this, and their engineer absolutely freaked!! He said the wheels were desinged to a certain load rating, and they didn't put any more metal in the centers than was necessary to meet that design criteria. Therefore, "DON'T DO IT" was his reply. This may not help in your situation, but I would tend to think that the manufacturers still don't add any more metal into the wheel than they have to.....
Old 07-03-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I see what you mean, Hmm what I understand is that the wheels could become un-balanced with respect to the center of gravity.
Any one else care to pitch in?
Old 07-03-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I see what you mean, Hmm what I understand is that the wheels could become un-balanced with respect to the center of gravity.
Any one else care to pitch in?
Predator, it has nothing to do with the balance, it's strictly a strength issue. You need a certain amount of material to provide the strength to withstand cornering loads.

That's why you see the "ultra-light" drag wheels marked "not for road use". Their centers are light, to reduce rotational force, and also just to be light. Then, if the car needs to be a certain weight to make the minimum for the class, the weight can be added in other places in the car...usually in the rear, for better traction.