LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Croosed drilled vs. stock...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Croosed drilled vs. stock...

rotors, i would have posted in the brake section, but my last 2 threads got ignored , so my question is, i'm currently running crossed drilled rotors F&R with high speed pads (came on the car when i bought it), i'm thinking of going back to a standard rotor & semi-metallic pads, will doing this help lower speed stopping & around town vs. what i have now? He basically set up the brakes for road coarse racing.

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:33 AM
S2K
On The Tree

Location: Bristol, TN/Knoxville, TN/Mooresville, NC/Phoenix, AZ

What do you mean by high speed pads? If they are race pads then they don't really kick in till higher temps(which usually don't get seen on the streets). So switching to a more streetable pad could help out. I run Hawk performance ceramics on mine, and i love them. A lot of people run the Hawk HPS too. As for the rotors, I would leave them on. Just make sure to check that none of them are warped or cracked when you switch out your pads.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

General consensus for best DD/Race occasionally pad setup

Brembo blanks.
Hawk ceramic or HPS.

Do a search next time? This thread is up about a million and a half times.
Under "what brake pad is best for ....."
or "Cross-drilled or not?"
etc...

btw, cross-drilled won't help you out at all unless you're trying to wear down your pads faster.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Cross drilled and/or slotted rotors were developed for race cars years ago when the pads needed to "outgas". Pad technology is way advanced today and outgassing is no longer an issue.

Rotors work by weight and the internal cooling fins. Cross drilling or slotting rotors only reduces their weight which results in less potential heat absorption. Better potential braking can be had with blanks.

Brembo's are now outsourced from China and they even raised the prices. Many resellers have dumped Brembo.

I've recently tried Centric rotors and was very impressed with them. Probably also made in China but their quality appeared to be on par with Brembo. They even had well machined spots on the outer edge for balancing. Priced right!

I've also tried the new EBC Yellow race pads (expensive!) and I'm astonished with their lack of brake fade even when hot.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know some of you may say i'm crazy, but i went to O'Reillys & looked at there blank Rotors, they look decent for the price 16.99 each (rear) 21.99 each (front), there mid pads are 36.00 rear/29.00 front, i know its not top notch chit, but i don't drive the car much, but when i do, i would like it to stop better under normal conditions then what its doing now. The rear pads (maybe the fronts too) are those VGXs, i read up on them & the rateings were horrible.

Quick Reply: Croosed drilled vs. stock...