Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Blinkers - Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blinkers - Alternative

Long story short I got smoked corners for my Camaro. The big blinker bulb that came with the kit is garbage. Other members said they will run hot for some reason, and they do.

So the blinker filament keeps burning out on the bulb, where the running light portion is fine. I think it is indeed running too hot, as the internal plastic casing of the light assembly surrounding the bulb is warping and melting.

I am just asking what light bulb, part number?, there are that people use for clear corners. So it has to be orange/amber to stay legal. Don't care about price as much as it lasting long and not melting parts. Seems dangerous and I don't want to take my headlights out to get to the corners all the time
Old 07-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't you access those from the door underneath? NEway, I have to think that the DRL is what overheats them. I just did the new lenses, bulbs, and sockets and am considering disabling the DRL deal to make them truly last.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

My first thought would be that if the smoke tint is causing excess heat then maybe you should stick with stock - but that's just my strange idea that function should be more important than appearance.

The only way you will get a light that's bright enough without generating too much heat is to use something other than incandescent bulbs. The best possibilty is using some LED replacement bulbs (#3157). If you do that, you'll also have to replace the stock thermal turn signal flasher with an electronic one because LEDs don't draw enough current to make thermal flashers work.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ManicMechanik
Don't you access those from the door underneath? NEway, I have to think that the DRL is what overheats them. I just did the new lenses, bulbs, and sockets and am considering disabling the DRL deal to make them truly last.
What is DRL?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
My first thought would be that if the smoke tint is causing excess heat then maybe you should stick with stock - but that's just my strange idea that function should be more important than appearance.

The only way you will get a light that's bright enough without generating too much heat is to use something other than incandescent bulbs. The best possibilty is using some LED replacement bulbs (#3157). If you do that, you'll also have to replace the stock thermal turn signal flasher with an electronic one because LEDs don't draw enough current to make thermal flashers work.
There is actually no tint. It is a clear lenses and the inside of the lens is painted black, so it looks kind of dark/smoked naturally.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
What is DRL?
Daytime
Running
Light (or Lamp)