Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 trouble shifting at high rpms + some noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 trouble shifting at high rpms + some noise

Greetings all. I have a 99 SS convertible with about 92k miles on it. About 10k miles ago I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, master/slave cylinder. I used the z06 replacement parts for the clutch/plate/flywheel and the upgraded master cylinder/slave cylinder as I was having the clutch stuck to the floor issue. I forgot to change the bearings that are at the end of the crank, I forgot what it is called.

I will try and explain the issue the best I can.

In neutral there is a strange noise that is sort of like a quite clattering that goes away if I depress the clutch.

Take for example I am accelerating reasonably hard from a dead stop to 5.5k rpm. If you push the clutch in (and hold it there to the floor) the clutch/tranny makes a growling sound as the transmission "spins down" and there is a vibration that goes a long with it. It seems to me as though the transmission or the clutch keeps spinning quickly for too long, almost as if something is miss weighted, picture in your head if you were to add a lead weight to one side of the clutch wheel and it would keep the transmission spinning due to centrifugal force.

Keep in mind this is speculation on my part, but it seems like the only way to explain it.

The other part of this is, if you try and shift when this "transmission is still spinning" it won't go into the next gear. It is especially noticible in 3rd-4th and 4th-5th shifting. Basically I have to coast with the clutch in till the tranny spins down to let me shift into the next gear.

I've tried to research the problem, and the only thing that I have found that sounds similar to the issue I'm having is, I found someone who broke one of those springs that is in the clutch plate.

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Pull the tranny back and take a peek..
Old 07-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Teching In

I would love to, but I just moved and my shop is in a shamble. I am more inclined to believe it may be a tranny problem itself then a clutch issue so I was considering buying a rebuilt one before I started any work. I have some grinding on hard shifts from 1-2 and 5th gear is a bit noisy. I do have a short shifter which transfers noise alot more then the stock one with the bushing did.

Quick Reply: T56 trouble shifting at high rpms + some noise