LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Doing Head Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Doing Head Gaskets

Bought Felpro 1074's and ARP head bolts and i am going to be taking the heads off tommorow. A few weeks ago i did the PS gasket with a stock GM gasket and Felpro head bolts (not becuase the gasket blew, simply becuase i had to take the head off) and the gasket blew out on me within 150 miles. My question is, should i get the head resurfaced even though it was never overheated? Should i get the head that has never been taken off (drivers side) resurfaced too? Or if i clean them both good should i be okay.? Thanks guys
Old 07-08-2008, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think you would be ok without doing it but it shouldn't cost more than say $65 dollars to have them surfaced and cleaned. I had a set cleaned not to long ago and made them look brand new. I payed $20 to have them professionaly cleaned and they got the surface smooth as new without surfacing them.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search on the ARB LT1 head bolt. I have read that they are prone to leaks. You dont have any power adders so they may be overkill over the stockers. Also make sure you chase all the headbolt threads with a thread chaser to clean everything out so that you get proper torquage.

You need to have both heads decked (resurfaced), If you do just one, you will have un even compression.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it okay to have the heads cleaned in a chemical bath (what my machine shop said they would do) with the valves and stuff still in?