General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Disable Low Trac light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Disable Low Trac light?

Pretty much anytime I make a hard downshift or hit a bump while downshifting, the Low Trac light flashes. I know when I have low traction. Is there anyway I can just permanently disable the Low Trac sensor/light?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

really i don't that is a great reason i disable it, it was put there for your safety . . . but i'm sure you can track down the wire and either disable or by-pass or something
Old 07-11-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

It can be tuned out from what I understand, or you can just yank out the bulb.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I assume you have Traction Control? You should be able to solve the issue by just turning your TCS off. (The owners manual says that this behavior is normal for heavy downshifting if you have the TCS system on.)

Remember, if you disable the light, you won't have it there for the anti-lock braking functions. I believe it also lights up when there are anti-lock brake system problems that need to be addressed, etc. (like a check engine light)

If you still want to disable it... I recall it actually being a LED soldered onto the gauges on my '99. (not sure about your '97) If so, you can't "disable" it but you can "shroud" it by lifting up the gauge overlay and putting a piece of electrical tape between the LED and the overlay.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

No I do not have traction control, it's really just more annoying than anything. I want to know all the symptoms before I go pull/tune it out.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There might be a mechanical problem that is leading to the annoyance. Small today - big tomorrow. On the 98-02 cars, this light coming on signifies that the car is applying brakes to compensate for the low traction condition. (...And this sequence of events is normal if you have TCS and downshift hard.)

You might try re-posting your issue to the forum as '97 traction control question/issue (instead of how to disable the light) to see if others have deeper insight as to if there is a mechanical fix. Maybe one of your rear speed sensors is on the way out?

...By chance, are you heel and toe downshifting when you have this problem? (Or even if you aren't.) Maybe you have a stuck brake petal switch sensor and you're ABS is engaging? (I would assume that this would also cause your brake lights to remain illuminated when this happens, as well?)

Quick Reply: Disable Low Trac light?