Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS PCV system... problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default APS guys in here. APS PCV system... problems?

I'm finalizing my build and the PCV is one of the last things I will be doing. I actually like the way that APS has the PCV set-up except I thought I had read on here that one or more guys had problems getting their car to idle with the APS supplied PCV system. Can anyone speak on this? The only thing I can see is that the car was pulling too much vacuum at idle because the supplied check valve wasn't restrictive enough??

One thing I don't like is the fact that the turbos are pulling straight from the valley covers and would eventually start sucking in oil vapor especially once the motor starts to loosen up and get heavier blow-by. I think I might get a 4-tap catch can and run from the valley covers to the catch can and then to the turbo's. That would catch any oil vapor and nuetralize the vaccum on both sides of the motor.

Questions:

1. I thought about doing an LS6 Valley Cover to have the Valley Cover PCV tap. Is there any advantage to pulling from the valley cover over the valve covers with one turbo for each side?

2. As far as my 4-tap catch can idea, would that do any good to 'nuetralize' the vacuum so that it is even across both sides or is it redundent because they are 'connected' so that it nuetralizes within the motor on its own?

3. Why do I see people using the factory PCV valve instead of a one-way check valve or both? I read that it is because the one-way check valve lets too much air go through where the PCV lets just the right amount of air in for vacuum? Is this correct? If so, why do some people use both?

4. Is our factory PCV valve NOT a one-way check valve? That might answer the latter part of question 3.

5. Where do I find an oil/water seperator? Is it used on lawn mower's and bought at Home Depot or Lowe's or do they actually make one for cars? What is the advantage to using one of these over a catch can??

This is what I am wanting to run:
a. Lines run from rear of valve covers to 4-tap catch can to turbo inlets to pull crankcase pressure out of the motor during WOT. The turbo’s do nothing to pull vacuum at idle since the turbo’s are barely moving/sucking in anything during idle. The catch can catches any oil vapor during the WOT blast.

b. Breather on passenger-side valve cover to vent any crankcase pressure during WOT that the turbo's cant remove.

c. Line from front of passenger-side valve cover to PCV, to one-way check valve, to an oil/water separator, to the intake manifold. The check-valve doesn’t allow the motor to push boost back into the valve cover during WOT and the line allows the motor to pull just enough vacuum during idle.

d. I'm thinking that I read on here that the passenger-side valve cover breather is going to be a problem for whatever reason when running the turbo lines to the valve covers. Should I just run it sealed with an oil cap or is the breather fine/needed?

Last edited by SStolen; 07-13-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: APS PCV system... problems?