Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Upgrade of an AMP

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade of an AMP

Is it possile to upgrade the AMP and keep everything else stock? I have a Monsoon system and was just wondering if I can upgrade and what is needed for this process.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-14-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

simply put no, There isnt a direct plug and play replacement for out cars lik there is for the Hemi cars. The best thing to do is wait and add a 4 or 6 channel amp to power your speaker. And if your worried about spae use the subthump amp rack worked great for me.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Besides...why would you want to do that? The amp is the only respectable piece in the whole Monsoon system. The head unit is a distortion machine and although the speakers don't sound too bad, they're made from cheap materials and don't last very well.

You'll get a much better sounding system by leaving the Monsoon amp in place, upgrading the head unit first and then upgrading the speakers.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated by Whitebird the stock amp is not all that bad. I hve had several customers upgrade their speakers and headunit with nice results. Add a stealth sub tothe mix and it is a pretty well rounded system and plenty for most.
You can also go to a 4-channel amp but rewiring the car for the speakers is a must for this. Not a big deal but it is another extra step. The 4-channel would cover your doors and sails, or doors and a subwoofer.
I also have 5-channel amps that cover your doors, sails, and a subwoofer. It is essentially like having 2 amps in one. One for front and rear (a 4-channel) and one amp for the subwoofer all built into one amp.
Personally I would try the speakers/head unit upgrade first and then if you feel you need/want more out of the system you can always replace the amp at that point.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

so the hi level outputs from a new headunit can go right to the inputs on the monsoon amp, I assume the Impedance loads the aftermarket head unit correctly?
I need to build custom sub plate for a convertible shallow 8" firing back, not sure if I would have to correct the phase though. I still have an older Pioneer 3 way crossover
I had it in my older vette throughout the early 90s full 3 way system It was considered a deafening system in those days LOL
Old 07-15-2008, 06:14 AM
Teching In

Okay, thanks. It looks like I am keeping the stock setup. I don't want to change the looks of the interior at all.

Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by topdj-com
so the hi level outputs from a new headunit can go right to the inputs on the monsoon amp, I assume the Impedance loads the aftermarket head unit correctly?
I need to build custom sub plate for a convertible shallow 8" firing back, not sure if I would have to correct the phase though. I still have an older Pioneer 3 way crossover
I had it in my older vette throughout the early 90s full 3 way system It was considered a deafening system in those days LOL
The Monsoon amp uses speaker level input to turn on and off. Impedance is controlled by the speaker so you have nothing to worry about there. The biggest difference is that in most cases (depending on the head unit) the signal that is sent to the Monsoon amp is cleaner then what the stock unit is capable of so it amplifies a cleaner signal thus making it sound better. Coupled with good speakers you can acheive a decent sounding system, better then stock, while maintaining stock amplification. While it would not be a competition level sound system it would still sound good and be quite enough for most people.
A aftermarket amplifier would be a better upgrade overall you can always see what you think by doing the HU and speakers first and then if it's not enough for you go with an aftermarket amplifier later to power everything.
As for your subwoofer your amp should have enough adjustment to allow you to make it sound right without Pioneer your crossover. Most amps have a low pass (LP) crossover built into them with hZ adjustment for proper frequency settings and a bass boost of some sort.