Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil smoke on decel after boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil smoke on decel after boost

Looking for ideas of what might be causing my oil smoke problem. I have a '03 Z06 with the sts twin turbo kit. I have eliminated the pcv and gone with a gzmotorsports vacuum pump set up. The car never smokes or smells like oil unless I have been under boost. It will puff smoke between shifts at wot under boost and on decel right when I let out of it. It appears to be only when the engine is under vacuum right after boost. The crankcase is under vacuum so I it is not making sense to me. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

1. Scavenge pump is going bad
  2. Seals are going bad on the turbos
  3. Too much oil getting to turbos (not necessarily bad pump. I had this and solved it with an inline restrictor)

Also, your pump should be located in a position lower than your turbos. Is the oil overpressure alarm going off when you're in boost? (beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep)
Old 07-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

There is no alarm. I was wondering about the oil return pump. I flipped the switch to high and it really hasn't made a difference. I am going to pull piping off around the turbos and see what I can find. Shantin has a good post on a pump upgrade. I just hate to think that I am going to have to more money when the kit is less than six months old. I will check some things out and let you know what I find. Thanks for the reply. I think you are helping me confirm what I already suspected.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Launching!

I had the same problem with my STS kit.I turned the pump on high all the time and put a restrictor inline and It fixed It.Mine was so bad It would blow oil through the cold side pipeing until I did the change.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

What size restrictor should I run with the twin turbo? I have seen post for the singles running .065 I could just double that and see what happens. By the way I have my pump running on high all the time and it helped a little. I still have too much smoke. I'll put it this way. They checked the track after my last run at the track.

Quick Reply: Oil smoke on decel after boost