Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pressure dropped 10PSI for no apparent reason...filter cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Fuel Pressure dropped 10PSI for no apparent reason...filter cause this?

Run a return-style system w/ an Aeromotive 1000 regulator on my LS1. Pressure is set at 60PSI. Been good to go for the past 2 years like this.

Today, noted that the AutoMeter FP gauge showed I was only running 50PSI pressure. Gauge on the Aeromotive unit under the hood said 48-49PSI. No noticable leaks from any of the AN fittings under-hood.

Will a fuel filter clog up (fast) and show this kind of drop? PSI was 60 when I drove the car on Wed. Sat till today.....(4 days), instant 10PSI drop now.

Adjuster screw on Aeromotive unit is tight...so it didn't back off.

Thinking of changing the filter, checing the "hotwire" to the Racetronix pump, and then bumping the pressure back up on the regulator if all else is the same.

Anyhow, it's a bit of a headscratcher....so any $.0.2 from people w/ experience would be nice

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Walbro in the tank? 2 yrs, from what I've been seeing posted, here and other sites, that's a pretty good life span..
Old 07-20-2008, 09:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first thing to do would be to turn the adjuster on the regulator to see if it makes a difference.... just count the turns so you can easily put it back where it was.

Did the pressure go up with the regulator adjustment?

Second, does the pressure hold after you shut it off? Is this the same as before?

Are you boost referenced? Does the reference still work?
Old 07-20-2008, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Have a Racetronix 255gph in-tank pump w/ a Racetronix "hot-wire" kit.

Vacuum/boost port is blocked off on the Aeromotive 1000 w/ a rubber vacuum end-cap. Should be "straight-up" pressure. Have the AutoMeter FP gauge referenced to the driver-side rail. Have a Summit gauge bolted diectly to the Aeomotive regulator (makes changing the pressure easy that way)

Just got a new AC Delco fuel filter.

Will change the filter and get back to ya'll on what it does..........
Old 07-20-2008, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

OK, here's an update:

Changed the fuel filter. Got fuel in my eye (small setback). After changing the filter the pressure went up from 49 to 50PSI....so that wasn't the problem.

Started the car and checked the rails, AN fittings, regulator, lines leading to tank, return line under car...etc. No leaks at all.

Adjusted the regulator set screw to raise pressure back to 60PSI. Took about 1/2-3/4 turn to get there. Tightened down the set-screw net. Idled the car for 20 minutes. Pressure stayed steady. Checked the in-tank pump fittings (did the "trap door" mod when installing the pump). Fittings on top of tank were dry and I could faintly hear the pump over the GMMG exhaust.

Took the car for a test drive. Part throttle was fine. Once good and hot the pressure was 59PSI and steady. 2x WOT blasts to 6500RPM. No fuel smell. Pressure dropped to 58PSI and came right back when I let off the gas. A/F ratio was 11.9 to 1 (it's set to 12.5 to 1, but after idling I'm sure it was heat soaking the IAT and adding fuel to the WOT values). When I let off the gas smelled like a H/C car should.......ie burnt gas and rubber

Drove home, checked everything again. No leaks. Turned the car off....turned it back on. Pressure still at 59PSI and stable w/ the car hot.

So....now what..... ? Should I not worry about it and assume the set screw backed off? Anything else I should check? No explanation for the drop in pressure in the 1st place.......which is what is bugging me........

Any $0.02 appreciated.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

What did you do with the regulator in the tank?

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-25-2008, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racetronix
What did you do with the regulator in the tank?
Pulled that when I installed the Aeromotive unit. The Aeromotive handles all the reguation duties.