LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD box getting too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD box getting too hot?

Has anyone heard of a box getting too hot and causing the car to die and mis-idle?

On my way to the track today...once I got off the Hwy...the car would die when I would let it idle down at lights. Got to the track and the throttle response was lousy..something was obviously wrong...car wouldnt idle but for about 30secs.

Drove home and it died and wouldnt start. Got it put on a trailer and brought it the rest of the way. Now the box has had plenty of time to cool...the car seems to respond like it should..havent driven it but in the driveway the throttle response is way better and about what it should be.

Hooked up the laptop...no opti codes...does have a 'map sensor high' code. Thought the opti went out but I dont think thats it now.

Curious if anyone has experienced heat issues with their MSD. Also I have it mounted in the glovebox.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

I have no experience with after market ignitions but does the MSD have any heat vents on it maybe its all getting trapped inside the glove box? Maybe there is a loose wire and its hot and causing it to heat things up. Just my .02.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah Im going to check my wiring to see if everything is still tight. I looked back over the MSD installation instructions on their website and it doesnt have any heat warnings but it does say not to put it in a glovebox

I might consider relocating it to the interior somewhere.

That MAP code could be the issue also...checking on that too.

Quick Reply: MSD box getting too hot?