LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

tired of finding "friendly" inspectors, how to pass emissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tired of finding "friendly" inspectors, how to pass emissions

I have p/s longtubes with all the emissions fittings they are all connected but the egr is turned off in the tuning. I have a magnaflow cat-back. Could I just throw a new cat on there and then a cut-out behind it and get the same power I am getting now and have the cut-out closed for passing emissions?

or will the tune and longtubes have no chance in passing? i don't have a cat now but if it will save me the grief each year I will put a hi-flow one on. or a regular, whichever will get me to pass. I don't want to lose power but it is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

also what is my power limit for the lt1 to pass emissions. I figure a 500rwhp lt1 won't have a chance.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My Lt1 passes here in Harris county, I have dual cats on it and all the stuff working. The long tubes them selves wont stop the car from passing, just not having cats and smog stuff will. Last time I took it in with this set up it passed just the same as it did when the car was dead stock down to a factory cat and 45K miles. Far as making good power all motor, dont bother. Nitrous or a blower is your new best friend
Old 07-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Properly tuned and with a tune-up I have read about people adding denatured alcohol to their fuel for inspections to pass emissions... try a search, it may be worth it good luck!
Old 07-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Teching In

i went through 9 times trying a ton of that horse ****. dont put anything in your tank as it will not help you, the point of the additives is to help clean up your cat, and the way it sounds you dont have one, put a cat on and it will pass, worst case senerio you will have to fabricate a air pump to dump fresh air in somewhere along the exhaust, where it cant be seen with the mirror, and that will make all your numbers drop, but i found that the new cat, i use a magnaflow hi flow, made it pass with 0 emission, that means no rediculous hc and co numbers!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to get with pavlock and get a cat put on with some other work :-). Bizzzatch I didn't realize you were in the same general area. You go to any meets? I have not been in a long time.

And I do think a nice nitrous kit is in my future. A healthy 100 shot with the lt1 plate should hold up for a while

Quick Reply: tired of finding "friendly" inspectors, how to pass emissions