LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

something that i do not understand...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default something that i do not understand...

on spintechs website they advertise that the sportsman splitcase (aka crossflow) muffler for our cars flows 175cfm @5" water. the single in/out ones flow less at 170cfm. i thought most tests were made at like 20.4" water and to my understanding the more " of water means more flow. so are they basically saying that their mufflers cant flow more than a measley 5" pressure drop? i called them one day and asked if my 3" spintech crossflow muffler was hurting me as far as power. and his response was well you could have gone to a 3.5" system and that would have been better. i asked him how much the mufflers flowed and all he would say is "its enough" that right there made me want to throw the flag. so if my bolton lt1 needs a 3.5" system from spintech to flow properly then i know it aint enough for these big hp cars. all i know is that my car revs a hell of alot quicker with the cutout open than closed. and at higher speeds it really starts struggling with the cutout closed. im seriously considering taking a 2.5" dynomax ultraflow muffler and putting in the stock location with a turndown tip so it cant be seen. even the 2.5" muffler flows like 1100cfm. plenty for me and for when i build it.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

guess no one is interested...
Old 07-22-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about muffler flow numbers but that sucks to hear about spintech cause I like their sound but not their cost.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea i know. before i bought it i got on here and read nothing but good things about them. i never really got to hear sound clips or in person. casue everybody around here has stupid flowbastards. and now everything i read is that they flow bad. it does sound good though. i guess thats about it. i just dont understand why they dont put true flow #'s on their site like dynomax does.

Quick Reply: something that i do not understand...