LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help with pushrod lengths

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help with pushrod lengths

Ok here is the situation.

I am setting up a new cam right now with 1.6 NSA rockers. I had my heads milled 20 thousandths and am running impala gaskets. my intake guides were worn, but the exhaust werent, therefore I ALSO had a valve job done on JUST the intake side, which I think made the intake valves seat slightly taller. (probably .025 or so). With my cam kit i ordered 7.150" length pushrods and they are too long.

According to my length checker, 7.050" is optimal on the exhaust side (going by eyeball on the valve stem). No problems here.

Moving to an intake valve, the checker shows 7.050" to be "OK" however 7.000" looks better. The problem is, a 7" pushrod makes the rocker bottom out on the stud just before it makes contact with the pushrod. it is not much at all, its just enough that fingertightening will not drag on the pushrod. I have to tighten about 1/4 turn instead of the normal 1/6 to set the lash.

I need to order new pushrods obviously so what do you guys recommend I do? If the rockers werent bottoming out... is it possible to run two different length pushrods on intake/exhaust?

Would 7.050" all around be alright? what do you guys recommend I do? I want to get this right.

thanks VERY much !
Old 07-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't run the 7.050 pushrods if they're not just right. Have you thought about using lash caps with longer pushrods?