Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear end noise when turning sharp only

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear end noise when turning sharp only

Hello all – Im putting this in both Gears/Axels, and Brakes/Susp, not sure what it is coming from. Sorry for the damn novel…here we go..

Problem – When turning sharp, I have a rubbing (sounds like a sea lion, or seal in my *** end,,, rooo, rooo, rooo, rooo,) to an almost grinding sound if going super slow,, to the point like im draggin my old 10 bolt on the road behind me….its not the brakes. Seems worse turning Right rather than left,, although, it does it when turning both ways

2000 TA M6, I have TCS and ABS - replaced the 10 bolt due to broken pinion gear

Ok, bought a used Moser 12 from a sponsor here. Eaton posi, 4:11, 31 spline, no C-clips, new bearings installed on the axels (twice),,, press rings too….all internals look great. This was my first rear end install…Got it in, had some brake issues because my dumb *** didn’t take off the 1/8th LT1 spacer rings that were on the axels (the M12 was on a LT1, so I changed the reluctor or exciter rings, brakes, etc) fixed all that. Installed the proper U-joint on my stock drive shaft…I also installed new poly ended UMI LCA’s, & Pan hard bar, and a new BMR TA,,,, all non- adjustable. (Im stock height, stock tires, etc.) All these components were lubed up in the zirts, and on the poly surfaces themselves. I tightened the sway bar clamp to axel bolts up more than what I had first tightened it to, thinking the bar was moving around to much making that “sea lion in the *** end” noise.
(I painted the axel, and noticed some marks where the clamps had “moved”) I think the torque listed in the Haynes manual was only like 18 ft-lb or something small…Doing that did remove a lot of noise, and some vibration, lol, but I still have this harsh sounding rubbing to grinding noise.. Only when turning very sharp…
NOW – I didn’t have the harsh grinding sound b4 I tightened up the sway bar clamp to axel bolts,, (I don’t think anyway, getting very confused) only a very bad “sea lion: noise,, worse than what it does now…did I tighten too much??

There is no movement in the axel if you try to move it up or down, left or right (wheel hub), feels very solid, and no noise spinning the axel freehand

I checked everything Drive shaft wise,, looks ok, I don’t have a pinion angle finder, so that was not checked, but to my eye,, (I know, I know) it looks the same as it did on the ten bolt… I did notice that when I tightened up the C clamp action on the driveshaft,, one side of the U shaped, double ended bolt is sticking through the nut like a 1/16th more than the other side of it (on both) … if that were to matter, .. Like I said,, this is my first rear-end..

Gears looked great, and I did not touch anything there, pinion, yoke, seals, inner bearings (?) etc, all were already set up… and for a used rear end, looked awesome (I think he said it was used roughly 8000 miles, he is going with FI, so he wanted a 9 inch)

TA looks good, no contact areas between the DS and the TA, although, I do notice a pinion seal leak,, not a biggie, just wet looking

I have not yet removed the cover to see inside…although, may be doing that as im running out of places to look. ….let me know if any other info is needed, I will be on here all day, and will do my best to get you any missing info…

About my only guess, is im rubbing the long bolt of the sway bar end link on the bracket it sits in when im making the sharp turns, probably due to me tightening down the clamp to axel nuts past the 18 ft-lb….but not sure,, I did torque the end link set ups to the listed amount in the Haynes manual (I cant remember what it is at the moment), and have roughly ¾ to 1 inch of that long bolt sticking out at the top,, the bushings “seem” to be where they are supposed to be.

I am lost…

Bad Diff ? how to tell?
Binding DS ? also, how to tell
Something else ? (ARRGGG!)

Plz help,, any ideas you can throw at me will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 289 Likes on 190 Posts

I see no mention of what gear lube you used, or if you added positraction additive? My little 10 bolt sounded like you describe after I first swapped it into my car (and changing the gear oil). I did a re-drain and refill using the posi additive from Auto Zone and it was immediately quiet again.

Just a thought...
Old 07-25-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

yes, i used the mobil one gear oil,,,cant remember the specs off hand, and i did use a additvie.

i wanna say its 75w90,,,cant remember what kind of posi additive, but it was in a blue container. (like an oversized tooth paste type container)

Last edited by Bad Blue WS6; 07-25-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

grinding was the sway bar,,,,on to tight,,,,still have the roooo-roooo-rooo noise, when truning,,,,,is it my new poly stuff? im switching back to the stocker LCA's and PH bar to check,,,

Quick Reply: Rear end noise when turning sharp only