Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

pac swi-x installed, programmed, but constant volume up???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pac swi-x installed, programmed, but constant volume up???

I installed a Kenwood kdc-m4028 (i think) deck 3 years ago. At the time my steering wheel controls worked fine. Well I just now finally installed the Pac-swi-x. I installed using the green wire connected to the dark blue on pin 14. It programmed just fine but as soon as the emitter is pointing at the HU, it's like someone is holding down the volume up button. I can tap the other programmed buttons on the steering wheel and they'll work but the volume just keeps going up. I tried re-programming it several times but no luck. I also tried using two different 12V sources (the radio's source and direct off the ign opening on the fuse box) and two different grounds (the bracket at the head of the center console and the radio's own ground wire) but still no luck. The right light on the PAC unit flickers rapidly while this is going on.

Does this sound like a problem with the steering wheel button? If so, how do I test and/or replace the button?

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did your steering controls work prior to the installation? I had this problem when I first purchased my Trans Am used several years ago. It was the steering controls. The buttons had worn out and the volume would do exactly as you described. The thing is if they worked fine prior to your PAC install then it may not be that.
The buttons can be pruchased on GMPartsdirect or I've seen them on ebay before relatively cheap.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they did work fine prior to installing the kenwood deck but that was 3yrs ago.