Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

new guy with a new (to me) 03 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy with a new (to me) 03 Z06

just thought i'd drop in and introduce myself, just picked up a new to me 03 Z06 last weekend, so far i'm loving this car, cant seem to drive it enough, i'm planning on getting some TSP LT's, X pipe, and probably the hooker catback in the next few weeks to start the mod path, i just wanted to ask if i'll need 02 simulators to prevent the check engine light from coming on, any tips/tricks for the header install would be sweet, we're gonna install them on my buddys lift, beats jack stands

here's a pic of the new car

thanks!!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

If you go with high flow cats, you probably won't trip any codes. Mine would when it was cold and wet outside, but on a C5, it's like a 30 second reset (you can display and reset all codes right through the console controls). No cats you'll need to use sims or even better edit them out with a tuning app (I edited mine out with HPTuners).

FYI, the OEM Ti exhaust sounds amazing, especially when you're running LT's (without cats it really screams at WOT). It's a really unique sound that no aftermarket exhausts have, it has zero drone at highway speeds, flows super good and it's incredibly light. It's just a neat Z06 specific component you might think about keeping.

If you want to keep all the perks of the Ti setup but you want it louder, you can always go with electric cutouts or do what I have, that's a modified Ti that has real Ti bridges that "cutout" part of the exhaust flow into the middle two tips.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:37 AM
9 Second Club

I would do LGs, Kooks, or AR headers. I think the LG headers are the best header for a 346 ci motor. you will need to get a tune and at that time they can turn off the rear 02 sensors so you don't get a SES light
Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Keep the stock Ti Catback, also get a Vararam.

Ohh and some tires.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02402RAMAIR
I would do LGs, Kooks, or AR headers. I think the LG headers are the best header for a 346 ci motor. you will need to get a tune and at that time they can turn off the rear 02 sensors so you don't get a SES light
I agree and Welcome !!
Pitt
Old 08-06-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AlexLs1
Keep the stock Ti Catback, also get a Vararam.

Ohh and some tires.
I agree again !!
Pitt
Old 08-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Teching In

vararam it is then, i'm gonna be going catless and i think after hearing some sound clips i'll be keeping the stock Ti exhaust, i wont be able to get it tuned right away so is there a way around the SES light untill i can do so? if not will it effect the car in anyway (other than the light being on?)

while we're talking about tuning, is there a good place to send my ECU for a mail order tune that doesn't cost a million dollars?

thanks for the help guys

Last edited by kessler89; 08-07-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Welcome and congrats. Personally I wouldn't waste my money on a mail order tune, it will never be as good as an actual dyno tune. As far as the SES light being on, I dont know maybe someone can chime in. However when my ebcm went out and I had the traction control light on, my Z was down about 40hp on the dyno. It was dynoing at 328 and after I got that fixed we dyno'd it again and it made 371.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

PS...Get that 4x4 lowered
Old 08-07-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

IMO, Do not get a mail order tune. Start a thread to find a tuner in your area if you don't know someone. There are some very bad tuners out there so get some free advice from the forum members. Your sig is not filled out so we don't know where you live.

Here is a sound clip of my catless Z thru the stock mufflers.
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...ZO6Exhaust.flv

Good luck,
Pitt
Old 08-07-2008, 02:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kessler89
vararam it is then, i'm gonna be going catless and i think after hearing some sound clips i'll be keeping the stock Ti exhaust, i wont be able to get it tuned right away so is there a way around the SES light untill i can do so? if not will it effect the car in anyway (other than the light being on?)

while we're talking about tuning, is there a good place to send my ECU for a mail order tune that doesn't cost a million dollars?

thanks for the help guys
The SES light will not cause any problems with the operation of the motor, the rear 02's sole purpose is to monitor the function of the CAT's and do not control fueling in any way.

We could do a mail order tune for you to get you going, but Pittman is right, a real tune would be the best thing for you.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Eurospec2
The SES light will not cause any problems with the operation of the motor, the rear 02's sole purpose is to monitor the function of the CAT's and do not control fueling in any way.

We could do a mail order tune for you to get you going, but Pittman is right, a real tune would be the best thing for you.
Hey Rick, how have ya been ?? I hear you guys are packing them in !! I stopped by and saw Eddie today...you guys were out. Sorry I missed ya. Help this guy out will ya ? He will need a jump start being new !!
Pitt
Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Teching In

well i called about the LT's and X pipe yesterday and they were sold out of them for a couple weeks so i guess i'll pick up the vararam for now as for the ride height, yeah i already turned the bolts and lowered it a bit, that pic in the OP was the day after i got it, i haven't really looked into any local tuners i'm located in NW ohio if that helps any

thanks again!!

edit, vararam is on it's way, here we go with the mod bug lol!

Last edited by kessler89; 08-08-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on the new ride. Nice color choice too

oh.. better learn that little slogan of mine

Quick Reply: new guy with a new (to me) 03 Z06