Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Open exhaust after the TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open exhaust after the TT

How loud would that be?

I know the STS kits have the pipes just after the turbos, but its quite different to have the turbos at the end, as opposed to having them below the manifolds and a straight pipe till the end. Im sure its been done, just wondering how loud/drivable is it.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have twins and straight pipes on my frc. I plan on giving the car tail pipes in the near future but, right now I have dumps(i have always hated dumps). But, I had no choice, and I ran with it. I will tell you, it really isn't any louder then my LG pro,off road x, bullet muffler setup, except for at idle, and I believe that cause the pipes are about an inch off the ground.

Anyways, it isn't that bad inside. I don't know what it's like on the outside yet. Car hasn't seen WOT yet. Hopefully this week we'll get there, and we'll record for some audio.

I'd just try it man, make it come all the way out the back, worse case senerio,....throw on two VIBRANT performance bullets mufflers if it's a little too much for you.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
I have twins and straight pipes on my frc. I plan on giving the car tail pipes in the near future but, right now I have dumps(i have always hated dumps). But, I had no choice, and I ran with it. I will tell you, it really isn't any louder then my LG pro,off road x, bullet muffler setup, except for at idle, and I believe that cause the pipes are about an inch off the ground.

Anyways, it isn't that bad inside. I don't know what it's like on the outside yet. Car hasn't seen WOT yet. Hopefully this week we'll get there, and we'll record for some audio.

I'd just try it man, make it come all the way out the back, worse case senerio,....throw on two VIBRANT performance bullets mufflers if it's a little too much for you.

Thing is, I am wondering if I should design my custom muffler that utilizes the stock butterflies, I can make that exhaust go insanely loud and extremely quite, however I have no performance figures on the exhaust, except that the sound is to die for. Seems ill just have to drop small mufflers at the rear, whatever I do, ill make sure the pipes come out at the rear.

Also tell me what happens when you try urs, cause if it sounds like a headers/ off-road xpipe and bullets then its loud as hell, im talking about a street car over here
Old 08-10-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Hoping for a little more feedback on this
Old 08-11-2008, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get a dual 3 inch system for TT vetts now. with decent flowing boxes there will be very little restrication in the exhaust.

also gusy have run close to if not over 800rwhp on stock corvette exhausts!!!

you can always run dumps toweards the rear of the car. Nick Yoskin did this and his C5 sounded lovely from inside with the dumps open!

Chris.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chuntington101
you can get a dual 3 inch system for TT vetts now. with decent flowing boxes there will be very little restrication in the exhaust.

also gusy have run close to if not over 800rwhp on stock corvette exhausts!!!

you can always run dumps toweards the rear of the car. Nick Yoskin did this and his C5 sounded lovely from inside with the dumps open!

Chris.
Chris, I customized mufflers that work with the stock butterflies and that was a work of art!!! the car was insanely loud and as quite as a car could get, all within a milisecond. I might re-do that exhaust, but im thinking of some RAW sound, I dont want any of the fancy exhausts corsas or borlas for that matter.

I think I have an idea, well just have to wait and see what happens.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ayousef
Thing is, I am wondering if I should design my custom muffler that utilizes the stock butterflies, I can make that exhaust go insanely loud and extremely quite, however I have no performance figures on the exhaust, except that the sound is to die for. Seems ill just have to drop small mufflers at the rear, whatever I do, ill make sure the pipes come out at the rear.

Also tell me what happens when you try urs, cause if it sounds like a headers/ off-road xpipe and bullets then its loud as hell, im talking about a street car over here

Well, then you should really add mufflers man. I wouldn't use the stock catback, even modified. I know it works well but, not for a car aiming for 1k rearwheel.

I recommend vibrant performances muffler, one, I like the sound(b&B uses them on there bullet setups)...and, they are small and compact. So, if you really wanted, you could add a few of them on each side(maybe two smal bullets for each side)... and I think the car would be cival enough, and liveable enough to drive daily. For the record, i've driven my car daily for years. Just not with the new twin setup.

I would highly recommend the rear exit, as it'll put the noise behind you, for the bystanders to enjoy. The dumps I have, crackle off the ground. lol.

Anyways, the bullets would be the less restrictive on a car with that kind of power, the turbos, and a couple of bullets, will be pretty quiet.

Quick Reply: Open exhaust after the TT