Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning with a handheld after headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning with a handheld after headers

My 1999 Z28 currently only has a lid and a catback. Soon I'm planning to install headers with a catted Y + a Nitrous wet plate kit (with a Timing Tuner to retard the spark) + a wideband (haven't bought one yet, probably an LC-1).

Do I need a tune? Most important factor for me is fuel economy, because this is my DD and I live in Belgium where gas costs $9 a gallon!!

Also, there's no-one doing tunes for our cars here locally, so I would probably have to buy a handheld (like for instance the Vinci Tuner or Diablo Predator) to do a very basic tune. If I'm not mistaken, my air/fuel ratio will be wrong after the headers, so I'm gonna have to correct it. Can a handheld do the job? And how would that work: I would have to look at the wideband gauge and then adjust the fuel accordingly on the handheld? Please explain, I'm new to all this.

If the worse comes to it, there's a Corvette guy in France that could tune it (he's got HP Tuners), but it's a 5 hours drive or more, and I'd rather avoid that if I can...
Old 08-10-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YEs you need a tune. You'll have more options with a full programmer. Have a look at PLX for the WBO2. Unless they've changed something in the past 2 years, the LC1 has reliability problems.