Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

running ipod through the stock am/fm input

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running ipod through the stock am/fm input

im looking to connect my ipod to my factory unit in my 99 TA. its a monsoon tape deck with the cd changer. i dont ever listen to the radio (nothing but garbage these days) so im trying to find a way to run the ipod audio out into the am/fm input. has anyone else ever done this? or do any of yall have a schematic or picture of the back of the stock deck .and yes, i know i need a new head unit, but i want the pioneer avic d3, and theres no money for that cuz im about to drop 1000 on new headers and a tune. i appreciate any input, thanks guys
Old 08-11-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they make a tape with a cord coming out of it that connects to your Ipod. Control it through your ipod. costs like $20
Old 08-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There are four ways to connect an auxiliary input like an iPod (or satellite radio, etc.) to a factory head unit.

In increasing order of sound quality:

1 - Wireless FM modulator. This is the simplest connection but also the worst sounding. The auxiliary device broadcasts a low-power FM signal on a user-selectable frequency and you just tune the radio to the same frequency. This method provides a relatively weak signal that is prone to static and interference from local broadcast FM stations.

2 - Wired FM modulator. This is a box that connects inline in the factory antenna cable. It works similarly to the wireless setup except that the FM signal from the auxiliary device is pumped directly into the antenna cable so you get a good signal equivalent to a really strong local FM station. The good ones electronically cut off the signal from the factory AM/FM antenna when in use so that interference from broadcast stations is virtually eliminated. The good ones also switch between auxiliary and AM/FM automatically - others must be manually switched.

3 - Cassette adapter. This is an inexpensive device that looks like a cassette tape with a wire attached. The wire plugs into the audio/headphone jack of the auxiliary device and feeds signal through the tape player in the head unit. Sound quality is very good although it is limited somewhat by the frequency range limitations of the tape head.

4 - CD port adapter. This device plugs into the head unit in place of the CD changer and provides the best possible direct connection sound quality. Some of them even have iPod-specific features such as charging the battery and providing track control from the head unit (or steering wheel controls). Unfortunately, this is the most expensive option (about $80) and you lose the use of your CD changer.

In this case, I would recommend a cassette adapter. They cost $15 or less - Wal-Mart has a Philips model for under $10 that is quite good (stick with name-brand models to get the best sound).

If you don't want a wire hanging out of your tape deck, a good wired FM modulator would work. I'm not a big fan of XM but their wired FM modulator for the Roady receiver is one of the best I've seen. It has signal block and automatic switching in a small package that can be hidden behind the dash.

If you are familiar with soldering and don't mind opening up your head unit, there is a thread here about connecting auxiliary input to the CD changer wires inside the HU. Using the proper stereo mini-jack, it will allow you to keep the changer but cut off the changer signal when you plug in your iPod.