LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Testing Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testing Plug Wires

I'm aware that using an ohm meter is the best way to test plug wires for resistance however I was wondering if you could simply put a 12v source on the opti side of the wire and then check the plug side for continuity? Would this be a sufficient test to ensure that all voltage makes it from one end of the wire to the other? I didn't look but do most volt meters have ohms testing as well? Sorry for the newbish questions I'm just trying to rule out wires on some testing that I'm doing.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

the only thing that test would tell you is that there is indeed a conductive metal inside the outer jacket of the wire, thats it!

even if the conductor was broken and split apart into 2 pieces (or more), the voltage could jump the gap and continue on, leaving you where you began.

an OHM test is about the only way to tell if there is a conductor issue. if they are aftermarket wires, you need to find out the resistance rating for that wire per foot and measure your wire. a little bit of math and you'll be in the right direction.
if they are stock, then i dont know where you would find that info at.

yes VOM's aka: Voltage Ohm Meter, will give you the resistance.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by simple
the only thing that test would tell you is that there is indeed a conductive metal inside the outer jacket of the wire, thats it!

even if the conductor was broken and split apart into 2 pieces (or more), the voltage could jump the gap and continue on, leaving you where you began.

an OHM test is about the only way to tell if there is a conductor issue. if they are aftermarket wires, you need to find out the resistance rating for that wire per foot and measure your wire. a little bit of math and you'll be in the right direction.
if they are stock, then i dont know where you would find that info at.

yes VOM's aka: Voltage Ohm Meter, will give you the resistance.
Yes, funny comparison too, but true

And even a cheap one from Sears will do.

Quick Reply: Testing Plug Wires