Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Bah Bye V8

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bah Bye V8

Ford Motor Company has indefinitely laid off 300 United Auto Workers at its Romeo, Mich., plant, which assembles Ford’s Triton V8 motors. Ford cited rising fuel costs and decreased demand for V8-powered vehicles as the reason for the layoffs.

The Romeo Engine plant produces V8 engines for Ford’s Crown Victoria, E-Series, Mustang, Explorer and Expedition, among others. It also hand-builds the motors for Ford’s Shelby GT500.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ford should have stayed pushrod. The LSX series is physically smaller, lighter, more compact, more fuel efficient, and more powerful compared to its cammer competition from the blue oval.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny H
Ford should have stayed pushrod. The LSX series is physically smaller, lighter, more compact, more fuel efficient, and more powerful compared to its cammer competition from the blue oval.

most importantly less expensive to build.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whhhat? What the hell are they going to do now? So you're telling me after the stock of engines is gone now, no more Mustang V8?
Old 08-13-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

V6 trucks? good luck towing.......
Old 08-13-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
V6 trucks? good luck towing.......
There are 4 cylinder diezel trucks that are very popular right now. I see them a lot around here. My brother is a landscaper and has been wanting to buy them, he has a good ammount of v8 trucks right now but if he gets another it would be one of those. Matter a fact he has a flyer posted to the wall with the info to my left at the office, it's says 2008 Mitsubishi FG-140 4x4, 4 cylinder diesel, etc etc., $50,450.00. And he's got some notes with financing #'s and down payment so I think he may get one soon.

He tows a shitload of wood and concrete so I guess if he's interested in them, they must get the job done.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Junkie

GM is going to a 6 cylinder diesel
Old 08-13-2008, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
GM is going to a 6 cylinder diesel
Are they? I knew about the small V8 (4.5L) turbo diesel that they're developing but hadn't heard of the 6.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

The Ford Folks are moving towards Eco Boost engines- the Lincoln MKS 3.5L V6 puts out 340hp, 340tq

http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.ph..._articleid=634
Old 08-14-2008, 05:58 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've often asked the question why they haven't come out with a 4 cyl diesel for 1/2 ton pickup's I look at it like this:

Cummins turbo diesel can tow what, like 13000 lbs or whatever it is LOL. O.k, that's WAY more capacity then most people need, but a great powerplant in a 1 ton pickup, or a 2 or 3 ton for that matter.

Now, a 1/2 ton pickup needs to have what, a 7500 lb capacity? I think that would be reasonable. IF the 6 cyl can tow 13000, why can't they just chop off 2 jugs, and resize the turbo for the displacment, and put that in the 1/2 ton? I guarintee, that the 4 cyl diesel would get a solid 25 mpg on the highway, if the 6 cyl with no load can get 20 I'm sure decreasing it's size by 33% would easily get 25 probably more.......

They should have started putting 4 cyl 4 litre diesel's in 1/2 ton trucks 10 years ago IMO

( I use the cummins as an example, only because I am more farmiliar with dodge pickups )
Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I've often asked the question why they haven't come out with a 4 cyl diesel for 1/2 ton pickup's
I imagine a "Boxer" style 4-cyl with twin turbo's or a big blower.

That would give nice handling characteristics, use less room under the hood, and make tons of power.

I was at XX Tuning and they had 4 cyl in the 500hp range.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Race your car!

NO need for a boxer type, that's adding $ to the cost of the motor.

Chop 2 jugs off a cummins, resize the turbo. The engine would drop right in with little to no modifications, which makes it the easiest/simplest fit.

The reduced rotating weight would probably increase the RPM range by a good bit too, again, making it even better for a 1/2 ton truck..

Someone needs to get on this.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

NO need for a boxer type, that's adding $ to the cost of the motor.

Chop 2 jugs off a cummins, resize the turbo. The engine would drop right in with little to no modifications, which makes it the easiest/simplest fit.

The reduced rotating weight would probably increase the RPM range by a good bit too, again, making it even better for a 1/2 ton truck..

Someone needs to get on this.
I'm sure it's coming- probably from an import, though..
Old 08-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Race your car!

Which means it will be a POS that won't have enough power to do anything, and will fall apart a year after you get it.

Good friend of mine bought a Tundra pick up about a year and a half ago. He raved about the power, etc. how it was so much better then his dakota was, and how the fuel economy was better, etc.

Guess what, a year and a half later, the thing is falling apart. THe tailgate split at the seam, he brought it back to the dealer, they put a new one on, happened AGAIN, they wouldn't do anything they say it was from "abuse" The things' got a tranny problem with it's cold, and after it's been driven for an hour (doesn't like cold or hot, only temps in the middle, WTF?!?) the seat broke, engine has 2 oil leaks that the dealer won't fix because he didn't bring it there for all the scheduled oil changes he did them himself, and on top of that, the gas mileage, that they claim is not even close. He was gettign 14 mpg with his v8 dakota, this truck that was supposed ot get 16 around town and 19 on the highway, hasn't seen anything better then 12.2 around town and on the highway it's lucky to get 15. Hell I get 13.5 with my 1500 ram with the trailer in tow on the highway.....

Needless to say, he'll be getting rid of it as soon as he's paid enough of it off so he wont' get killed when he can trade it in.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Which means it will be a POS that won't have enough power to do anything, and will fall apart a year after you get it.

Good friend of mine bought a Tundra pick up about a year and a half ago. He raved about the power, etc. how it was so much better then his dakota was, and how the fuel economy was better, etc.

Guess what, a year and a half later, the thing is falling apart. THe tailgate split at the seam, he brought it back to the dealer, they put a new one on, happened AGAIN, they wouldn't do anything they say it was from "abuse" The things' got a tranny problem with it's cold, and after it's been driven for an hour (doesn't like cold or hot, only temps in the middle, WTF?!?) the seat broke, engine has 2 oil leaks that the dealer won't fix because he didn't bring it there for all the scheduled oil changes he did them himself, and on top of that, the gas mileage, that they claim is not even close. He was gettign 14 mpg with his v8 dakota, this truck that was supposed ot get 16 around town and 19 on the highway, hasn't seen anything better then 12.2 around town and on the highway it's lucky to get 15. Hell I get 13.5 with my 1500 ram with the trailer in tow on the highway.....

Needless to say, he'll be getting rid of it as soon as he's paid enough of it off so he wont' get killed when he can trade it in.

This is how American cars got their bad name, if these type of stories continue we may see more people that used to only consider imports go back to American cars. But it will take time, a lot of it is word of mouth on top of personal experience.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Race your car!

I can speak on subaru myself. I had a 2006 wrx for a while. It wasn't a bad car, at first. Over the year that I had it, I can tell you that the car DRAMATICIALLY went down hill. Mind you , I didn't rally race it, it never made it to the dragstrip once, and I take very good care of my stuff, better then most.

The subaru, got 3 coats of wax the 2nd day I had it. Despite me trying to take care of it, I can honestly say, that the quality of the paint was absolutely terrible. I have never in my life had a car get so many rock chips, etc.etc as that car did. The paint on the car honestly had to be extremely thin to have the type of damage occur to it that did. The car, with 28K on it a year old, looked worse them my truck with 85K on it 4 years old. Honest truth. The car itself also developed what I like to call creaks, the car would creak like crazy when going over an type of bump, never did figure out where it was coming from. It had 3 rattles, 2 in the dash, one in the door when I got rid of it. The back door too, of all places because they hardly EVER got used. The shifter in the car felt like I was churning a bucket of butter, it had zero feel, and a TON of slop within 6000 miles, not because I was trying to rip the thing thru gears either. Honestly, it felt like I could have ripped it off the car if I tried.

Overall teh car was peppy, but it was built like a toy, not a car.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the wrx's have notoriously thin paint,a glass based shitbox 5 speed and high insurance hence why i put a ej20 in my legacy, thought after driving V8's its still not enough. STi swap when i dont spend my money like i always do. as far as Ford doing a boxer motor, i doubt it but i think turbo 4's and 6's are going to be taking over the performance market years down the road. Ford is stil selling a good amount of vans and trucks, too bad they arent making any money on them though i wont call the V8 dead just yet though...
Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

The 5.7l Tundra does have good power but after spending a bit of time in two newer Ford trucks I think anyone would be a fool to buy a foreign truck.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:39 AM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

I can speak on subaru myself. I had a 2006 wrx for a while. It wasn't a bad car, at first. Over the year that I had it, I can tell you that the car DRAMATICIALLY went down hill. Mind you , I didn't rally race it, it never made it to the dragstrip once, and I take very good care of my stuff, better then most.

The subaru, got 3 coats of wax the 2nd day I had it. Despite me trying to take care of it, I can honestly say, that the quality of the paint was absolutely terrible. I have never in my life had a car get so many rock chips, etc.etc as that car did. The paint on the car honestly had to be extremely thin to have the type of damage occur to it that did. The car, with 28K on it a year old, looked worse them my truck with 85K on it 4 years old. Honest truth. The car itself also developed what I like to call creaks, the car would creak like crazy when going over an type of bump, never did figure out where it was coming from. It had 3 rattles, 2 in the dash, one in the door when I got rid of it. The back door too, of all places because they hardly EVER got used. The shifter in the car felt like I was churning a bucket of butter, it had zero feel, and a TON of slop within 6000 miles, not because I was trying to rip the thing thru gears either. Honestly, it felt like I could have ripped it off the car if I tried.

Overall teh car was peppy, but it was built like a toy, not a car.
My 07 WRX is almost 2 years old, and has seen it all through daily driven New England weather. I'm aware of Subura's history with paint but my car still looks great, and has no rattles. It still drives like it did when it rolled off the lot, but I only put about 12,000 miles on it per year. So far, it's holding up. The shifter is a little sloppy but I plan on installing the SPT short-throw shifter.

When it's paid off, I'm looking to purchase a new Camaro SS.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford CEO said this was going to happen about 2 years ago