Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Question on stripe painting

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on stripe painting

I been back and fourth on this. the car is going to be GM electron blue and i was going to do 35th aniversary stripes in white. i plan to paint the stripes on. i was wondering should i spray the white for the stripes then mask off the design and spray all the blue or spray entire car blue clear the car then scuff the parts where stripes are going then lay out the stripes and spray white

on my truck i sprayed the white then did the blue but this left a nice edge that and took awhile to remove edge. ive also done stripes were color for stripes was laid first then the body color and this left low edge where stripes are
Old 08-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

The way we do it is paint and clear the main color.. Scuff the panels that are to be striped. lay your stripes out and color with a 1.2 or a 1.3 tip mini Iwata or a gun that is compatible. Then take wipe down the panels and clear the complete panel that were striped. Edges of stipe will always be sharp and clean with no edge you can feel. Everyone has their on ways of doing it, this is just a way that has worked well for me.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

What I do is spray the center sections of the panels with the color of the stripes (several coats) and wide enough for the stripes to be taped off. Let that dry, tape up your stripes, shoot your base color, untape your stripes, then clear the whole car.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

I would spray my white first. Mask off the stripes and then spray the blue base. This is taking into consideration that it would only be two coats for coverage on the blue base and usually 3-4 for white thus leaving less of an edge when going with your white first.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Banned

now i know colors react different when using different sealers. but i spray the nose, hood and dek lid white first for the stripes and then go over that with the blue wouldnt that throw off the shade of blue? i know it took a few coats of electron blue to cover my hood on my truck

the truck was painted with PPG paint and clear and planned to use same for camaro.

i was planning on using a white sealer unless someone recomends otherwise
Old 08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Thats the reason I paint the stripes last and you have less build up. If you use a dark sealer for the blue the hood is going to be a different shade because of the underlay of the stripes. Different paints have different coverage capabilities. You are not going to want to reseal the hood after you lay the stripes down. you will have a sealer build up then.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Lay several coats of clear whatever you do.at least 4or 5 thick heavy coats that way you can cut a lot of the stripe edge out

Quick Reply: Question on stripe painting