Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

MDF board question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MDF board question

I have built several boxes but 90% of them have Fiberglass tops ans the sides and bottoms are hidden from view. I just built a box and was wondering if you can paint straight the MDF board and have it look presentable, or stain it like some house furinture. If you can and have done it can you please post or PM so I can see what it looks like before I ruin a big box.
Thanks for the help and comments in advance
Old 08-18-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use autobody paint on MDF. You first have to spray it with a polyester primer or "spray bondo". Once coated it needs to be sanded to 600 and you can paint it. The primer i use is Feather Fill by Eavercoat. Not sure how staining mdf works.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rock-Star
You can use autobody paint on MDF. You first have to spray it with a polyester primer or "spray bondo". Once coated it needs to be sanded to 600 and you can paint it. The primer i use is Feather Fill by Eavercoat. Not sure how staining mdf works.
Do they make such a thing? Is the feather fill like ahigh build primer to fill in dimples in the wood?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think MDF looks too plain to be stained.

You do need a high build primer, I've shot MDF with an epoxy primer, and you could still tell that the edges were "fuzzy" where it soaked in (as epoxy primer is fairly low build). A high build primer (poly primer) would fill well past these fuzzies. If you paint raw MDF, it'll fuzz on the edges pretty fierce as the paint soaks in. The flat sides look fine when painted (where it was pressed), but any cut edges will fuzz unless sealed well.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by RsSean
Do they make such a thing? Is the feather fill like ahigh build primer to fill in dimples in the wood?
Yup, I use it all the time. Feather fill, Slick Sand, Z Chrome are a few brands ive used. Its 75 to 125 a gallon. It is a high build primer. It sands very easy and gives a perfect finish when sanded properly. Its the only way that I know of to get autobody paint to look good on MDF. There may be other ways though.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroholic

You do need a high build primer, I've shot MDF with an epoxy primer, and you could still tell that the edges were "fuzzy" where it soaked in (as epoxy primer is fairly low build). A high build primer (poly primer) would fill well past these fuzzies. If you paint raw MDF, it'll fuzz on the edges pretty fierce as the paint soaks in. The flat sides look fine when painted (where it was pressed), but any cut edges will fuzz unless sealed well.
Wht does that mean? The board is the 3/4 inch MDF board you can get at lowes. Very heavy stuff. I understand about the edges though.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaroholic

i agree x1000