Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Install

I hope this is the right place for this post...
Anyone in or around 200 miles of charlotte beat a $560.00 cam install (Moreperformance). Thats the only price quote as most shops wont touch an LS1 around here.

Moreperformance is a great place to have it done I have heard only good things from them but man $560.00 is HIGHer than Giraffe butt.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:57 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Cam Install

DO IT YOURSELF!! If you're somewhat mechanically inclined you can do this. It looks crazy at a glance, but it's surprisingly easy. Look at JmX's writeup ( LS1Howto.com ) and then you can click through some of my installation pictures if you need more.

The only nice thing about paying someone to do it is you can get them to stand behind it. If you do it on your own, you'll be on your own to fix it. That's the only negative thing about it. Otherwise it's not that bad.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I was thinking about it since time would not be a problem but man it looks like I could really screw things up.
Is it just like doing the old school 350 shortblocks?
I need to upgrade my springs and pushrods too is that like the old school big blocks?

Thanks,
Old 02-11-2003, 01:08 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's sort of like an old school SBC. I'm sure you'll get in there and be like WTF?? But overall it was surprisingly easy. Torquing the crank bolt is physically demanding and your going to need some help. With a manual getting the crank bolt out and back in is easier than it is in an automatic.

If you are going with a higher ramp rate cam you may want to look at new hardened push rods and new valve springs to take the lift. The install for those is easy too. Just get a cheap valve compressor from Napa, they have a $15 bar that works awesome for swapping out valve springs. I'm not sure what size cam you're looking at so I can't give you any recommendations, but work with the vendor to determine what they suggest.

Overall a cam swap can be done in a day easily on a f-body, even for a first timer. A C5 may require a little more time because the steering rack is a pain in the ***. Otherwise a C5 can be a very long one day cam swap as well.