Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing front lowering springs and want to do the rear hose mod... any info?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing front lowering springs and want to do the rear hose mod... any info?

Doing the 1.2" drop springs by Eibach in the front. I want to drop the rear down a little so I read the spring/hose mod taking the rubber piece out gets you about 1/2". What exact size tubing will I need and how many feet? Any pointers on getting the springs out? We have the spring compressor, lift and full air tools. How much time to do it all?

I will post pics when done.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5/8" heater hose. Put some liquid soap on the spring section you plan on putting the hose over (it will make slipping the heater hose on much easier). 2' should do you, you can get it from Home Depot. The springs are easy to remove from the rear, no compressors needed. All you need to do is jack up the rear of the car and put it on jack stands without the rear end supported. Now take the jack and place it directly under the center of the rear end (under the torque arm mount is a good good safe place) so it is barely supporting it. Next undo the bottom shock mounts. Now slowly lower the rear until you can pull the springs out. Finally pull off the rubber isolators and replace them with the heater hose. Install the springs and make sure they seat properly as you raise the rear back up so you can reattach the lower shock mounts. lower the jack and remove the jack stands and you are done. total time, maybe a half hour. Make sure you keep the isolators though. You may want to use them if you ever get new rear springs. With this setup your car won't handle too well. Springs should be put in as a set as the spring rates are designed to complement one another. Even though the Eibach kit is less than perfect I would still recommend you install all 4, but if you are just going for straight line then I understand. Best of luck, it's pretty simple.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So do you think handling will be worse than stock with just the front springs? I don't do heavy cornering so as long as it doesn't mess up the feel it has now it will fit my tastes fine.

You know what is stronger than heater hose? That clear hose Home Depot has. That stuff is hard to even cut with a razor knife! Wonder if it comes in 5/8"?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Meh, I know plenty of people have used the heater hose without issue. Feel free to try that stuff it you want. If I'm thinking of the same stuff it would probably work out just fine. As for the springs, while I don't feel the the setup you are looking at doing is perfect, I don't see it being much if any worse than stock. You will probably end up with a bit more understeer than before but it should be manageable.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

old topic....but does anyone have pics of heater hose mod with eibachs or similar stance springs in the front?
Old 11-29-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tpunk
5/8" heater hose. Put some liquid soap on the spring section you plan on putting the hose over (it will make slipping the heater hose on much easier). 2' should do you, you can get it from Home Depot. The springs are easy to remove from the rear, no compressors needed. All you need to do is jack up the rear of the car and put it on jack stands without the rear end supported. Now take the jack and place it directly under the center of the rear end (under the torque arm mount is a good good safe place) so it is barely supporting it. Next undo the bottom shock mounts. Now slowly lower the rear until you can pull the springs out. Finally pull off the rubber isolators and replace them with the heater hose. Install the springs and make sure they seat properly as you raise the rear back up so you can reattach the lower shock mounts. lower the jack and remove the jack stands and you are done. total time, maybe a half hour. Make sure you keep the isolators though. You may want to use them if you ever get new rear springs. With this setup your car won't handle too well. Springs should be put in as a set as the spring rates are designed to complement one another. Even though the Eibach kit is less than perfect I would still recommend you install all 4, but if you are just going for straight line then I understand. Best of luck, it's pretty simple.
Nicey put

Quick Reply: Installing front lowering springs and want to do the rear hose mod... any info?