Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

replacing sail panel speakers, rewire for full range but keep hatch speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default replacing sail panel speakers, rewire for full range but keep hatch speakers?

Okay so i think i know what I have to do but i would really like any other opinions/suggestions. Heres my current setup:

2001 trans am, monsoon setup with the addition of a JVC arsenal headunit and mtx stealthbox.

My sail panel speakers finally blew and im looking to replace them. I read pretty much every thread I could find on this subject but still find myself weary/confused. I know that they are dual voice coil 4 wire subs and are only picking up a low signal supplied by the amp. I know my easiest option would to find dual voice coil speakers and throw them in but ever since i installed my stealthbox, i've always felt that there is just too much bass and not enough vocals when sitting in the backseat. i would love to just replace them with a full range speaker since my subwoofer is enough bass for me. i know that since theres only a low signal being supplied to the sail speakers, regular 2 way or coaxials would not work. i also read that i could tap into the hatch speakers and rewire to the sail panels but i would like to keep the hatch speakers powered. is that possible? if not, as a last option, would i be able to run new wires from the headunit to the sail panels and just have regular speakers powered from the HU? i didn't think so because aren't all the channels in the back of the headunit being fed into the monsoon amp?

i would really appreciate any advice or alternative solutions in replacing the sail speakers with full range speakers without eliminating the hatch speakers. thanks
Old 08-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Launching!

If you're replacing the sails with any sort of good speaker, seriously, considering ditching the hatch speakers. You don't realize it until you do it.. but they're really just unneccessary.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Teching In

thanks for the suggestion, that does make sense. i just really would like to keep them since they sound good to me, plus i want to keep it stock so that i could revert back easily in the future.

i've been looking at the wiring diagrams for the head unit/amp. it seems theres 4 channels of output from the head unit going to the amp. front and rear. if i just rewired the rear speaker outputs coming from the head unit, straight to new regular speakers instead of into the amp/subs, would i lose any of the other speakers? in other words...do the rear outputs from the headunit which go into the amp, only supply sound to the rear subs? or do they supply the power for the other rear speakers (hatch) too?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The rear outputs of the head unit power the subs and the hatch speakers (tweeters directly from the HU and 4" mids through the amp). But MasterEvilAce has a good point...you like the hatch speakers now because they give you the feeling of surround sound but once you replace the factory subs with full range speakers, you will have surround sound without needing the hatch speakers. In fact, with much larger full range speakers in the sail panels, you probably won't hear the hatch speakers anymore anyway. So, wiring the sail panels from the hatch speakers is a good way to get full-range signal to the sail panels. You might even consider getting a set of CDT "coaxial" components for the sail panels so that you can use both the tweeter and mid wiring from the hatch (I can't remember the speaker model but Kee Audio can help you out).
Old 01-27-2012, 06:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bump for an old thread but I would appreciate any further input.

Would full-range(Alpine type-s two way) sail panel speakers improve sound quality? (Two 12" subs installed) Also, is there any issue with tapping into rear hatch speakers power wise?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Launching!

I deleted my sail panel speakers and put amped jl audio components in their place and I don't like it. There was much more of a fuller sound with the original sail panels running off the stock amp and my hatch speakers running off an external amp. I'm going back to the old setup but putting bazooka subs in the sail panels to replace the now blown factory subs.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wonder if you could isolate a two way speaker in the sail locationon leaving the monsoon amp to power the large cone and running the sail tweeter off the hatch speakers?

Quick Reply: replacing sail panel speakers, rewire for full range but keep hatch speakers?