LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

02 sensor question and obd2

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 sensor question and obd2

I was just looking under my hood and i noticed my o2 sensor is not even plugged into anything....i thought your car would run like crap without o2 sensors hooked up? the car runs fine...has power. I was looking for the mate for it and couldnt find it? where does the 02 plug into? Thanks

And a another question, instead of making another post. My car WONT pass emmisions, when they plug into my OBD2 it sais system time out and it wont connect to the dmv's computer, they told me to check for blown fuses and they checked out good. The guy there also said that my Check engine light should come on when you turn the key on and my does not. I just noticed about 10 mins ago that when i was testing for power from my obd2 1 prong has constant power with key on or off and another prong turns my electric fans on when the key is on does that make sense???? If you need more information let me know, kinda pissed seeing as i just bought car like a month ago. Its a 1996 Trans am Ws6 M6 if that helps at all
THANKS
Old 08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Launching!

I forgot to mention that the o2 sensor that is not plugged in is the one right under my starter on the pipe coming from drivers side.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well first, having the o2 sensors unplugged won't make it run like crap. It will just run the air/fuel tables programmed in the PCM instead of constantly adjusting air/fuel ratio with the help of the o2 sensor feedback. Your loosing gas mileage without the o2 sensors though, because they will try to get the air/fuel to 14.7 A/F. The o2 sensor connector is somewhere close, you just gotta look for it.
I don't know what state your in but, almost every state will fail a car with a check engine light on. Get it scanned and find out the code. It's most likely a code for the o2 sensor unplugged. Like the technician told you, the check engine light should come on when you first turn the key. Either the bulb burnt out, or more likely the person before you took out the bulb to try and sell the car. Somethings fishy about that car. If the scan tool won't recognize the car, then look further into wiring/fuses.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the reply. I just think its weird that one of the prongs would turn on the fans....im not a professional but why would the obd2 have anything to do with the fans? There is an external switch someone put on there that turns the fans on, i wonder if they somehow wired into the obd2 for power...orrrr i dont know. I unplugged the external switch and nothing changed.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Sorry for all the questions but i am trying to get the dash out to see if there is a bulb there or if its burnt out and it wont let me pull it out, im guessing its the speedo cable but how can i get enough room to get my hand back there?
Old 08-29-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take the trim around the gauge cluster off. Should have pop clips holding it in. Then the gauge cluster is bolted down. I haven't done it on a f-body yet, but most cars have the same procedure.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Launching!

I got it out last night was just a plug in the back that was kinda stuckk, little yank was all it needed. and you were right ralls the guy took the check engine bulb out, so now when i start the car the light goes on and off like its suppose to but it still wont let me connect t0 the obd2 scanner or the emmissions place.