LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opinions On This Roller Rocker Install Walkthrough?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions On This Roller Rocker Install Walkthrough?

What do you guys think of this install guide for 1.6 RR? Would you recommend it? Is there anything you'd add to it or that you dispute?

http://home.comcast.net/~nstama/rock...er_install.htm

Looks pretty good to me, I'd just like to hear thoughts on people that have done it a few times. I did a search, hopefully this hasn't come up before.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with all the 1.6 rr discussion, I'm surprised no one has anything to say about this.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took a quick look at this yesterday, but didn't have time to respond. Today, however, is another day....

I installed GMPP roller rockers and LT-4 Springs/retainers on my '96 Z-28 about 4 years back. I pretty much followed that procedure, with a few exceptions.

Looking at the pictures in the post, you'll see there's a difference in length of the ARP studs and the OE parts, in the part that screws into the head. I used ARP studs too, as I was also using their "cute" 12 point adjusting nuts. Well, I had a problem with that extra thread interfering with the "tangs" on the threaded inserts that GM installs in the holes these studs screw into.

I originally tried to screw the studs in place, but hit the "tang". I didn't want to chance messing up the inserts, or the threads on the studs, so after rather gently tapping on the tang, trying to break it off, as one would normally do on a heli-coil, without sucess, I stopped before I damaged anything.

I purchased 16 flat washers, to put under the head of the studs, A) to take up the difference in length, and B) as you'll also see that the OE studs have a sort of washer built in to them. The only problem is that most garden variety washers aren't really a consistent thickness, so I took them into work, and ran them through the surface grinder, and got them all the same thickness. I then installed them under the hex of the studs, and torqued the studs in place. (IIRC 50 ft./lbs.)

Other than that, the post seems to cover most everything pretty well.