Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which way to go?...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Which way to go?...

Current setup is as follows: Pacesetter headers, Pacesetter Y pipe with a 4" Flowmaster merge, 4" to 3" reducer, Hooker CB with no tail pipes (thought the dual duals looked hideous).

Looking at the Strano suspension setup in the future, which is 1.2" lower, and some 243 heads/60512 (232/238) Voodoo cam to replace my hotcam. WAYYY down the line maybe a procharger.

Here's what I was thinking, and need help deciding between the two:

1. Keep the hooker, put the tail pipes back on and purchase some Chevelle style tips (same as the dual exit Mufflex)... and get a cutout.

2. Ditch the hooker and get a 4" single exit Mufflex.

If #1 is the best option then would I benefit more from a 4" cutout or a 3" cutout?

If #2 is the best then how bad would my ground clearance be with 4" pipe all the way back, is it worth the extra weight, and would there really be a significant gain over the hooker?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the Hooker setup IMO. I personally like the tips on my T/A (they're no Corsa's but they're decent looking), but I can imagine they wouldn't look right on a camaro. I would do a 4" cutout then reduce it to the catback and get yourself some tips you like. I love the way my Hooker+LT's+ORY sounds! And if you want it louder just open the cutout. I personally think my open cutout is too loud, so I'm gonna cap her off soon and just run through the Hooker Catback. I also like the way the whole system tucks up REALLY tight to the floorboard so I will not have to worry when I install the suspension.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The closeness of the Y pipe is definately a pro of the pacesetter y, however the merge is quite possible the most embarrasing thing I have ever seen a company produce... and that's why I had it hacked out and installed a flowmaster merge. Check it out in my sig. I think I will stay with the Hooker.