LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Mass Airflow idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mass Airflow idea

i noticed lots of people saying our cars run pretty rich i was thinking that could be because in the intake (especially with K&N) the air has to turn and so more air enters the outside part of the maf than the other side and because the maf assumes that both sides are getting the same ammount of air then it adds more fuel than it needs. to correct this i was thinking that just rotating the maf so the sensing elements are on the inside or even have so the airfoil is horizontal might read differently. i would try this but i have no way to measure A/F ratio anyway just an idea and im off at college again so guys try it if you want
Old 09-02-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The MAF screen is designed to level out the airflow across the sensor elements, so it's not necessary.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats true but i have trouble believeing it takes care of 100% of the biased especially with the cone Vs the stock intake with stock its not really possible but otherwise i think nest person at the dyno should try it out for kicks it might help the jet Maf more than stockers that thing turned my car into a slug though
Old 09-02-2008, 08:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

nope, don't do it... I've done testing of the same exact thing, last year... done it, logged **** loads of data when doing it, such as MAF airflow, intake temps, etc etc... does NOT work...

actually makes it worse... you'll end up getting less airflow, and also getting higher IAT's, cuz you're turning the sensors closer to the heat from the downpipe/engine...

keep it in the stock alignment...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 09-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
nope, don't do it... I've done testing of the same exact thing, last year... done it, logged **** loads of data when doing it, such as MAF airflow, intake temps, etc etc... does NOT work...

actually makes it worse... you'll end up getting less airflow, and also getting higher IAT's, cuz you're turning the sensors closer to the heat from the downpipe/engine...

keep it in the stock alignment...
I have to agree with 06MonteSS. I've been experimenting and keeping it in stock position seems to work best. CAI does make it run richer, though.