LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Chirping from fresh 383.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirping from fresh 383.

Hey fellas, I have a slight chirping noise coming from my car randomly. The motor is fresh (250 miles and has great power and oil psi (70psi cold idle) and (40psi hot idle) with around 55 to 60 driving around. I haven't removed the belt yet to determine if it's an accessory but my question is, can you have chirping from main or rod bearing even with great oil pressure at all times? Just curious. Also I have been reading about the oil galley ball that goes next to the oil filter on the block. I do not remember installing that and I was wondering if that would cause an issue? I am going to pull the oil filter and crank the motor to be sure that oil is getting through the filter since I have read that without that ball the filter will be bypassed. Oil is clean and metal free. I've rubbed my hand all through the oil and it has no metallic glistening or anything even in good lighting conditions. I'm just super paranoid about this so I'm trying to sort out what it may be before I have a serious issue and save something if I can. I used Clevite bearings that all measured perfectly with bearing clearance all the way around.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mains are known to chirp if going bad. Given your oil pressure it could be a number of things...

1) Pilot/Throwout bearing - Push in clutch to see if noise varies.

2) Cam bearings/Lifters - Pull cam and lifters to check for wear.

3) Accessories/belt - Remove belt to see if noise disappears.

4) Random noises by parts contacting each other. - Check through engine bay.

5) Definitely check up on the oil ball since I'm not sure of the effects capable of not running it.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd drain the oil and drop a magnet inside the drain pan, then when you dispose of the oil in the pan, see how much shavings it's collected.

I put a neodymium magnet on my oil pan from a computer hard drive. VERY STRONG sucker! Don't attract each other very far away, but when they get close it can easily pinch to give a blood blister! I had one on my trans pan, but it fell apart I think, since it's gone

I'd do the belt first, and cross your fingers that it's maybe the tensioner, alternator or AC compressor (if you still have it).

Front end noise perhaps? The speed just creates the right resonant frequency to make the spring rubbing on the A-Arm chirp :\

Cricket in the air duct? (Sorry, trying to lighten up the situation)

Hope you find it!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

neodymium magnets lose their magnetism at about 180f meaning not good for in fluids in a car.

I question the logic of using a magnet to check for debris seeing as the bearings are fist to go and are not ferrous.

I do not have a lot of experiance in the blown motor area but soon as I read the question mains is what came to mind. connexion 2005 gave you a pretty good list of to dos. I sincerely hope it is an accessory or something.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
neodymium magnets lose their magnetism at about 180f meaning not good for in fluids in a car.
Well I have a feeling my oil pan gets closet to 180f and it's been on there ever since I stuck it on. And I'd never stick anything foreign inside my oil pans that wasn't already there (like the transmission's magnet).

But you're right, the magnet wouldn't pick up bearing debris/shavings.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Lt1_93z
Hey fellas, I have a slight chirping noise coming from my car randomly. The motor is fresh (250 miles and has great power and oil psi (70psi cold idle) and (40psi hot idle) with around 55 to 60 driving around. I haven't removed the belt yet to determine if it's an accessory but my question is, can you have chirping from main or rod bearing even with great oil pressure at all times? Just curious. Also I have been reading about the oil galley ball that goes next to the oil filter on the block. I do not remember installing that and I was wondering if that would cause an issue? I am going to pull the oil filter and crank the motor to be sure that oil is getting through the filter since I have read that without that ball the filter will be bypassed. Oil is clean and metal free. I've rubbed my hand all through the oil and it has no metallic glistening or anything even in good lighting conditions. I'm just super paranoid about this so I'm trying to sort out what it may be before I have a serious issue and save something if I can. I used Clevite bearings that all measured perfectly with bearing clearance all the way around.
Look at your valve train very closely. Take your pushrods out, examine them for excessive, uneven wear as well as the guide plates and pushrod cups on the rockers.
Did you install the valvetrain dry or did use assy. lube of some sort on the pushrod tips and lubricate the pushrods?
Old 09-03-2008, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 304 Likes on 230 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

When I killed my stock LT1.. I spun several of the Mains and it was chirping..start with the easiest, hopefully it's not something bad bro.

Quick Reply: Chirping from fresh 383.