Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radical Coil Relocation Idea - in the frame rail

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Radical Coil Relocation Idea - in the frame rail

OK, it's time for another one of my crazy ideas. I wanna get the coil packs off the valve covers for aesthetic reasons and really hide them, but I still want to keep the spark plug wires as short as possible. Relocation under the cowl means a long wire for the forward cylinders, plus they can still be seen. So how about inside the hollow frame rails? You would cut 2 square holes in the frame rails, then mount 2 coils on the back of a 3/16 steel plate with the plug terminals sticking out. Then bolt or screw the plates into place. Just connect one end of the plug wire to the engine and the other into the frame rail. It shouldn't be too hard if the manifolds are removed. They should stay much cooler as well.

I think it would be bad *** and have a lot of folk scratching their heads, but not a mod for the lazy folk.

I don't know if it would be feasible, but it's been in my head for a while.

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-03-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a very good idea, i love seeing new ideas like this! ill be following this one....
Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good idea but not a good idea to cut up the frame rail and simply screwing on a peice of metal will not provide the strength it needs if you were in a wreck.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

i actually think the couls would be a lot hotter if they were placed here as well. thats alot closer to the headers/manifolds than the stock location. this is the hottest part of the engine bay. also, having them this low, they would be alot more exposed to the elements.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
good idea but not a good idea to cut up the frame rail and simply screwing on a peice of metal will not provide the strength it needs if you were in a wreck.
I'm not advocating making the frame rails weaker. Hell, make them stronger than they were before.
Originally Posted by kyles2000z
i actually think the couls would be a lot hotter if they were placed here as well. thats alot closer to the headers/manifolds than the stock location. this is the hottest part of the engine bay. also, having them this low, they would be alot more exposed to the elements.
They are well protected from the elements. I don't know about the heat. Yes, they are closer to the manifolds, but they will be behind a large heatshield (the "frame").

After doing some close looking, the coils would be a bit to low I think. The wires would have to come up and over the exhaust.

Like I said, it's just an idea I had floating around in my head. I'm going to put them somewhere, I just don't know where for sure.

One of my earlier ideas was to tuck them way under the cowl with the wires dropping straight down. You could cut a section out above the intake and then fab up an upside down square fiberglass "dish". Then mount the coils in it and screw the whole thing in with sealant around the edges.

Last edited by JasonWW; 09-03-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

ehh if you are gonig that route wouldnt it be easier to just mount them to the k member? i know that still makes for longer wires but this way they could still be equal length
Old 09-03-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

lol thats way too much, just put them under the cowl and paint evrything black so its "hidden"
Old 09-03-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

im gunna go ahead and say in 3 years your gunna have the most rqadical ride with the most wild awesome unique mods ever lol.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I'm not advocating making the frame rails weaker. Hell, make them stronger than they were before.
still cutting the frame and not rewelding it solid will make it weaker, and will bend easier. the frame is made like it is for a reason, its best to leave it at that.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Thats a very unique idea for sure.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One benifit to the under the cowl relocation is the wiring harness for the coils can be rerouted to fit under there without extending it. How would you run the wires to the coils (where its neat) if you you put them there? I am all for new and different mods but I am not sure this one is worth while.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I think this one is pretty pointless myself. JasonWW do you ever do anything besides come up with wacky new things to do to f-bodies?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
JasonWW do you ever do anything besides come up with wacky new things to do to f-bodies?
Cars are my hobby.

If I do some front mount headers I'll mount the coils here.

Quick Reply: Radical Coil Relocation Idea - in the frame rail