Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y pipe confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Y pipe confusion

My cat went out this week for the 2nd time since I've bought the car and I'm thinking of going with an off road y pipe this time. (The first time it was covered under warranty but they saw my partial nitrous system hooked up so they're giving me crap on getting them replaced for free again). I've been looking at off road y pipes that bolt up to the stock manifolds and I've seen some pictures that look like the pipe on the passenger side is considerably shorter than the drivers side. What gives? If I'm not mistaken these cars come w/ cats on both sides and the pipes should be fairly equal in length. Any answers to that?

Also despite that fact what off road y pipe would you guys recommend as far as ones that bolt to stock manifolds? I've seen some with removable cats/extender pipes. What brands should I stick with if I got one of those? I'm trying to keep costs down but definitely dont want any fitment/banging issues. I'm considering going this route also since it'll give me a place to finally weld in my o2 sensor in and finish that damn nitrous install. lol tia for any input.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Do you plan on modding for power? If so, you may make the mistakes many of us have in the past... Saving a little money now only to redo it down the road.

If you don't want to deal with the possible downsides that can come with LT's, how about a set of shorties?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could start by telling us what year your car is. The half pipe shorter y pipe thing you mentioned I believe is the SLP y pipe which is supposed to connect to the stock cats. It's worthless. Mac makes a good one for 98-99 cars.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:28 AM
TECH Resident

My car is an 02 TA m6. I eventually plan on going the turbo route so buying longtubes would be the mistake of buying something now only to discard it later. I realize the same could be said for the y pipe but it wouldnt be as big of a loss.

The good news is that I had the dealership check the wiring on the nitrous setup and they realized I really hadnt sprayed yet since nothing was really complete on my nitrous setup so they decided to honor the warranty on my cats lol. They got replaced for free but I still want to consider going with an off road y (w/ removable cats if they swap w/ stock cats) so I can weld in my o2 sensor in and then just swap in the cats for emissions.

In light of this what are your opinions?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

I'd look through the classified for a set of used LT's. Enjoy them now, and when you're done, you can resell them.