Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What is kind, or is bad, with my rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is kind, or is bad, with my rear end?

I have a 99 Camaro SS and I thought it was supposed to have posi when I got it but moments later after a burnout, only my right tire peeled out. So for a long time I thought the left axle or carrier was grinded previously. But today while changing my rear brake pads I put the car in drive and let it idle to find that the left axle moves...abruptly after, I looked at the right but I think the traction control didn't allow to move so it stayed in place. Now what's up with that? Posi traction shouldn't allow one axle to move right, or is it possible I have an actual peg-leg differential. I am clueless.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your car actaually doesnt have a "posi" persay its a LSD (limited slip diff). my guess would be that the clutches are worn out in the LSD causing it to seem like its a open diff. i had the same problem in my 91 Z. when you put the car on jackstands and put it in gear both wheels would spin but you try to burnout..etc. it would do the infamous peg leg.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3rdgen might be right...If it has been beat on a lot the clutches will wear out. It happened to my old Mustang...