LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2nd opinion on opti problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2nd opinion on opti problem?

Yesterday driving down the highway my car just shut off (94 Z) so I pulled over to the side and was able to restart and took off again but only after a few minutes of driving it did it again but this time I was not able to restart it. I have a fuel pres. gauge and that was showing normal so I know it wasn't the fuel pump and I just installed a new AC Delco opti in 05' and only have about 40K miles on it so I didn't think it was that. Well I had to have the car towed to a shop and the test reveals that the opti is bad. I know it's mechanical so it's prone to failure but only 40K miles???? What are your thoughts about this???
Old 09-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Teching In

my 97 did the same thing exact thing. I have changed the opti twice. I am not sure what else to do except change the opti electrical plug. any suggestions
Old 09-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Teching In

I've never had an opti go completely out me, changed mine twice over 175k miles, the most recent @ 150k.
Question: now I'm assuming you'd get an SES if the opti wasn't able to read correctly? I would have scanned the sucker before taking it to the shop.

Assuming the opti is to blame (and I keep thinking heat related somewhere if you can drive it for a bit and it dies by the way..) with low mileage like that on a non pos opti (delco)... I'd check the vacuum line that runs into it when you replace it to see if it actually has vacuum :-)
Old 09-12-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nlzn
I've never had an opti go completely out me, changed mine twice over 175k miles, the most recent @ 150k.
Question: now I'm assuming you'd get an SES if the opti wasn't able to read correctly? I would have scanned the sucker before taking it to the shop.

Assuming the opti is to blame (and I keep thinking heat related somewhere if you can drive it for a bit and it dies by the way..) with low mileage like that on a non pos opti (delco)... I'd check the vacuum line that runs into it when you replace it to see if it actually has vacuum :-)
I did get a SES light but it took a long time for it to come on and the DTC was # 16. I have a 2 volume GM mannual and it says that most likely you will not get a SES with code 16 and following the mannual it comes down to either a short to ground in the high pulse, short to ground to the low pulse or defective opti

Quick Reply: 2nd opinion on opti problem?